Mazda5 MPV? Opinions/experiences/suggestions?

(25 Posts)
MrsKitty Tue 04-Jan-11 22:53:51

My poor Zafira was declared a write off today following a spot of skating in to a brick wall just before Xmas.

Need a new car, fast, as being without is proving a major inconvenience!

Originally thought Honda FRV, but it's proving difficult to find one within a reasonable distance within our budget (there was one 30 miles away but when I called today to arrange a test drive I found it'd been sold yesterday, therefore I've decided it just wasn't meant to be!)

Going to test drive a Mazda5 MPV tomorrow. I like it because it's a similar size to the Zafira, but seems more flexible in terms of seats, the rear 2 seem more useable and there's an inertia reel seatbelt in the middle, which the Zafira lacked.

We're 2 adults, 2 toddlers, but like the extra seating for my family when they visit as they don't drive. Also need the boot-space as I seem to drive around with my entire life in the car blush and we holiday mostly in the UK.

Considered S-Max, but definitely out of our budget. Other alternative is an older (04/05) Galaxy, but think it might be unnecessarily big, and also don't think the rear two seats fold flat in in the older models (anyone know?)

Any other suggestions welcomed, as well as experiences/problems/pro and cons on the Mazda5.

Thanks

madrush Tue 04-Jan-11 22:58:10

I know a couple of people who drive Mazda 5s and really rate them. Not sure you get much of a boot if you're seating 7 (but you don't in anything really) but you can make it two two two sitting and get extra space between middle row seats. One of my friends really loves the sliding doors too.

littlebrownmouse Tue 04-Jan-11 23:03:32

We love our Citroën grand Picasso c4 thingy. We looked at the Mazda and found the Citroën to be more flexible in terms of seating, boot space etc and that it had more room in the seats in the boot. I seem to remember the Mazda had something a bit odd about it- big gap in Between boot seats? Seats were really flat to the floor? Not sure what it was but my friend had the same issue with it and she ended up with grand scenic.

littlebrownmouse Tue 04-Jan-11 23:04:42

Ps. Loved the Peugeot 5008 ( I think) and the s-max but there was no chance.

MrsKitty Tue 04-Jan-11 23:05:33

Would rarely be seating 7, except when we have visitors, so that's OK. Its general set up would be with the 2 rear seats down to give a big boot space for toddler bikes/pushchair/general child related outdoors-y stuff that I have no space for indoors blush

TheBibiJesus Tue 04-Jan-11 23:08:48

Wasn't impressed with the mazda 5 tbh, we were looking to upgrade from a Mazda 3 when we found out we were having twins (and a 3yo) as couldn't get 3 car seats across back.

We have Toyotal Corolla verso, seats 7, and can get 3 carseats neatly along back without it being like a tank.

MrsKitty Tue 04-Jan-11 23:09:48

DH has said no Renault or Peugeot, which narrows things down grin. I have no idea - they're all just cars to me!

twofalls Tue 04-Jan-11 23:12:27

Watching thread as we are looking for the same. Have you loomed at peugot 307 or 308 sw? They are estate cars with two extra seats if you need them. Haven't driven one but reviews are quite good. Or a Toyota verso. Having said that my friend loves her Mazda 5.

MrsKitty Tue 04-Jan-11 23:12:35

Bibi that's interesting. I heard (on here, probably wink) that the middle seat in the Corolla Verso was rather narrow and you wouldn't get 3 carseats across the back.

Maybe I should see if I can get a look at one of them tomorrow too...

littlebrownmouse Tue 04-Jan-11 23:12:49

Peugot seven seat version is very nice but very expensive! Shame about the renault, we had a 5 seat scenic for 6 years, it was the most reliable car we ever had. If citreon is nearly as good we'll be pleased.

MrsKitty Tue 04-Jan-11 23:14:27

<<Whispering>> I have a little yearning that DH might agree to a DC3 at some point in the coming years, so getting 3 carseats across the back would be nice...

littlebrownmouse Tue 04-Jan-11 23:16:49

3 across the back in a Citroën. It's very wide.

SantarissaCripslock Tue 04-Jan-11 23:23:20

My last car was a Mazda5 and I loved it. LOADS of boot space -we could easily fit buggy and assorted bags that two smalls need AND a wheelchair. Plenty of room left for shopping too.

Ooo oooo you get slidey back doors with the Mazda - best thing ever. (I'm easily pleased) grin The slidey doors are great when you have children, especially young ones that you still have to strap in.

MrsKitty Tue 04-Jan-11 23:28:34

grin Santarissa, yes, I was rather taken with the slidey doors too.

Off to bed now. How about you lot decide between you what I should buy, and I'll go off and do it in the morning? wink

Thanks for all comments so far.

wohmum Tue 04-Jan-11 23:32:37

We've got a Mazda 5 and love it.

We really liked the fact that you can have 2 seperate seats in the middle row as the centre seat can fold away or become a table or storage.

whichever you go for, I'd definitely get sliding doors - it's so much easier!

kbaby Fri 07-Jan-11 22:42:40

I have a Mazda 5 and think its fab with children.
The positives are
Sliding rear doors, a god send to avoid kids banging doors.
Inside spacious
The drinks holders
The massive boot. I get both bikes with stabilizers in.
If rear seats needed they fold out easily.

The negatives
The rear seats are best for occasional use as not much leg room.
Small boot space when all seats up
The centre seat is small, best for occasional use and doesn't fit car seats.

Overall the car is a six seater with rear seats best for occasional use. I only have 2 dc but the boot is brilliant for fitting the house in for holidays and the rear seats used for school friends or family grateful for a lift they can't moan about leg space. Go test drive one. I'm sure you'll love it.

MrsKitty Fri 07-Jan-11 22:46:37

Thanks Kbaby...Test drove one on Wednesday - picking it up tomorrow grin.

New car -Woohoo!

twofalls Sat 08-Jan-11 00:49:37

Well done mrskitty. Did you test drive anything else? Has it got isofix?

MrsKitty Sat 08-Jan-11 16:34:10

Didn't test anything else - am rubbish at making decisions, and there was a Mazda 5 in our price range (well, at the very top of our range) at the local dealers, it seemed to do what we wanted it to so just went for it. <<Lazy>>.

It has Isofix on the 2 side seats in the middle row. Not sure about the rear two. It seems a nice, solid drive. Spacious, better view/less blind spot than the Zafira. Loving the sliding doors so far (and DS, 3, very taken with them). I like the flexibility of the middle row, and the fact that you can raise the rear two seats without mucking about with the middle row, as was necessary in the Zafira.

What else are you looking at, twofalls ?

twofalls Sun 09-Jan-11 03:11:38

Thanks, that all sounds great. Our friend loves theirs too. We are also looking at the Peugeot 308 sw and the Toyota mpv (can't remember the name!). Our trusty old focus is on it's last legs and we would really love a bit more space (dh a guitarist so lugging guitars and amps to gigs is a right pain. The extra seats are only for occasional use for when we take either grandparents or cousins/friends out for the day with us.

YeahBut Sun 09-Jan-11 03:22:04

Love my Mazda - big enough to carry kids, stuff and dog but still feels like a car to drive and not a bus!

jharna24 Tue 08-Mar-11 08:14:29

I have to admit, that when I first saw this thing I was not impressed by the styling. But it is definitely growing on me. The splash page at mazda.ca has a light blue one in profile, and it actually looks pretty good...for a wagon/mini-van that is.
http://www.autolinemag.com/995-2012-mazda5-review.html

jharna24 Tue 08-Mar-11 08:16:06
GooseyLoosey Tue 08-Mar-11 08:22:32

We have a Mazda 5. Agree that you cannot get 3 child seats across the back and the fold up seats in the boot are small. However, they are the perfect size for the DC's friends (7 and 6) who fit with no bother at all. Its smaller than other MPVs which makes it easier to park. We also found it was much higher spec'd than other similar MPVs - there wasn't a lot you had to pay extra for.

Agree the slidly doors are great. No need to worry that the kids will slam them into other people's cars and you don't need a massive parking space to get the kids out.

I would get another one. Our other car is a Peugeot and the difference between the reliability and drivability is staggering. The Mazda wins on everything.

bodgerx Thu 29-Aug-13 20:26:49

An old thread, but completely disagree that the middle seat is of no use in a Mazda 5.

Here we are with a new shape 5 (late 2010) and three fairly large car seats across:

farm4.staticflickr.com/3748/9625077880_537c7c4e2c_b.jpg

We have also head an ISO fix seat in there.

I am 6ft and can bit in-between 2 car seats.

It hasn't got 3 individual seats like a VW Touran, but there is more room across than in say a medium sized family hatch back like a Civic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now