How can I best support my mum?

(1 Post)
Elvesandthepoomaker Thu 04-Aug-16 13:27:19

DGM has lived with my parents since 1989. My Dad died in 2002 so the house is now just DM and DGM. DGM's health has declined since I moved back to the UK two years ago - she has chronic heart disease, a history of strokes and slight dementia which is exacerbated by pain. She is generally absolutely coherent but has always had a strong personality and cows my mother, who is in a position of caring for DGM and following every cardiac incident etc, while not being at all emotionally resilient - her life has been on hold since Dad died and she is now trapped at home for days on end if DGM has had an attack. I am limited in what I can do to help as I live a 2 hours drive away (on a good day, on the M25) and have two young DDs. My DH gets frustrated that my Mum won't do anything to help her own situation but I think she's just become depressed and fatalistic. Is there anything I can do to support her? I've suggested speaking to Alzheimers Support and getting in respite but it all seems too much effort for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now