Student midwives experiences

(8 Posts)
Laurynjade Sun 08-Nov-15 14:52:07

Hey guys!

I was just wondering what your experiences were like with having student midwives at your appointments/ labour etc. Are there any tips that you would give a student in these situations? What were they good at and not good at? smile

Thankyou! Xsmile

Lj8893 Sun 08-Nov-15 14:59:32

Following as I start my placement in a week, and I can't remember if I had any student midwives when I had my dd.

Rinceoir Sun 08-Nov-15 15:11:01

I had a really wonderful student with me during labour. She was kind and explained things to my husband which he appreciated (I'm a doctor so people tended to speak to me in medical terms!). I had an emergency c-section and she helped DH do skin to skin and get the baby dressed. I know he really appreciated it as he was terrified.

AGrinWithoutACat Sun 08-Nov-15 16:35:28

I had a student at a couple of appointments and a student doctor on her first placement (her first labour!)

They were both really lovely and I was relaxed anyway (DC3 so knew what to expect, what I wanted and didn't want)

My consent was asked for their presence and involvement in any procedure/check and I think that is the most important thing

The only thing I would not have consented to was internals as I am uncomfortable enough about them but these were done but the main midwives anyway

I did invite the student doctor to copy some of the checks the midwife was doing during labour as I was comfortable enough and she was lovely - she even came to say hi as see baby next day before we were discharged

PotteringAlong Sun 08-Nov-15 16:37:55

The student I had at my antenatal appointments with ds1 delivered ds2 as a qualified midwife. We both remembered each other and it was lovely!

PotteringAlong Sun 08-Nov-15 16:41:31

I had a male medical student in when I had ds2 as well. He was chuffed as everyone else that day had refused to let him in the room. He looked a bit grey and I told him he could look when I was being stitched up as he was looking everywhere but!

He came to find me the next day to see how we were and I really liked that.

BreeVDKamp Sun 08-Nov-15 16:45:41

I had a few, all seemed really lovely! I'm impressed they get hands on experience so early into their courses, that's really good. I had one student in an antenatal appt who couldn't find my baby's heartbeat, just through lack of experience (she was in her first or 2nd term I believe) and she went very quiet and seemed a bit embarrassed/worried poor thing! Which might have panicked some other women. But she was nice just could have been a bit more chatty to reassure the patient.

Heatherjayne1972 Fri 01-Apr-16 15:31:33

Just remember that if you ask a woman in labour to do something and she doesn't want to don't push it - she doesn't want to
I had one trainee who insisted I put my hand down 'there to feel the baby's head' as it crowned I said no - she insisted. I panicked and ended up with a much more traumatic experience than It should have been. ( had 4 operations to put things right ). Horrid experience

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now