AGAIN! This flippin government not giving a hoot about carers/disabled.

(14 Posts)
marjproops Tue 19-Mar-13 17:37:08

Rant again.
reminder' Fulltime carer for disabled child here.

LIFELONG carer for lifelong disabled.

HAVE to live on benefits, no other choice.

NOW just today (after buying even less food this morn as everythings gone up again,have no idea what were going to live on soon) i get a letter saying now I have to pay council tax!!!!

Just manage on what we have (in case anyones thinking 'how can you afford a computer'this computer was given to me by a very kind friend AND they pay for my internet use) and now even LESS to live on.

Already having to downsize as Im on HB and we have a teeny tiny large cupboard that the council have now decided is a box room therefore an extra bedroom.

FFsake. what next for carers and those in need?

HeySoulSister Tue 19-Mar-13 18:07:05

Does everyone on benefits in your area now have to pay council tax then? Is it the full amount now?

RooneyMara Tue 19-Mar-13 18:10:53

marj, if the room is below a certain size it does not count as a bedroom, legally. sorry typing with one finger here but check it out.

marjproops Tue 19-Mar-13 19:45:25

teeny tiny large cupboard????? wtf? why did i write that? was miles away with my rant! its a bit bigger than a cupboard but wasnt classed as a bedroom when we moved in last year. NOW just to get money out of us its suddenly been officially named as a bedroom.

soul sister, theyve taken only a couple of things into consideration and have taken a teeny tiny amount off but its still a lot and as I said we only JUST manage. I assume when we downsize CT would be cheaper? or is that just bedroom tax? and till we find something suitable (again no help from anywhere and I have to find somewhere adapted for disabled) i have to on top of CT find extra to pay the BT.

seriously...do people still buy hair?!? Im tearing mine out so might as well sell it!

RooneyMara Wed 20-Mar-13 07:56:05

measure it. there's a blog somewhere that gives you the floor area that classes as a bedroom. Someone linked to it a couple of weeks ago.

marjproops Wed 20-Mar-13 17:45:45

Thanx. do you know where that link is?

Owllady Wed 20-Mar-13 17:51:12

have you got a good social worker who can help you with this marj?

I thought those with disabilities/disabled children were exempt hmm

marjproops Wed 20-Mar-13 17:56:30

I thought that too. but i phoned the tax office yesterday and they said no.

i have a friend whos a SW so shes looking into it, ive also made an appointment (Ive been busy!) with local jobcentre, PLUS childrens services nd a couple of others.

Thanx for all replies.

and now the b** budget....priorites, politicians please!!

Owllady Wed 20-Mar-13 17:59:01

god that's disgusting they cannot splash one thing all over the media and do another angry It makes me so cross

At a local authority l;evel our services have been cut so much too, it actually beggars belief sad <also the parent of a severely disabled teenagersad>

marjproops Wed 20-Mar-13 18:13:15

Owllady Im with you. and like I have time to actually be running around chasing these people too!

anyone alse in same position?

Owllady Wed 20-Mar-13 18:17:21

well exactly I think they KNOW we cannot shout the loudest and we are ina minority and lets face it. They don't care sad

marjproops Wed 20-Mar-13 18:28:31

I know, theres an mp whos in a wheelchair (cant remember her name but she was very involved in the paralympics), there was David Blinkett with his blindness, the pm and previouses sn kids....yet.....nothing.

so waht was the paralympics all for then?!?

BTW- I NEVER used to swear before I joined MN !! rant away!

RooneyMara Wed 20-Mar-13 19:37:45

here you are Marj

It explains it a bit

worth a try at appeal if you can summon the energy

Mind you we have a room under this size and I wager they would stop paying us for 2 bedrooms if I flagged it so hmm. Keeping schtum on that

marjproops Wed 20-Mar-13 20:06:40

Thanx Rooney.

sorry, took a bit of time to reply, Im on about 10 diff threads tonight...Dc already asleep so this is my social life! flitting from 1 to another.

If I keep on a ranting thread I end up with a migraine so trying to balance a bit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now