Can I ask how getting funding for a care hime works?

(6 Posts)
SinisterBuggyMonth Fri 19-Oct-12 17:47:10

Particularly if the person has no assets, lives in council flat, no savings and is on ESA and DLA

Dad has a progressive neuro illness, but SS are reluctant to go down the residents care home yet, but really I and his GP know its only a short matter of time.

I'm utterly clueless, had a look online at who accepts his illness, they look nice, but would they take him? What small print says they will/wont?

CMOTDibbler Fri 19-Oct-12 17:50:23

Basically it comes to whether what your local authority will pay for care vs what the home charges.
If you go and have a look round and chat to them, the manager will be able to tell you whether this happens.

MrsGrowbag Fri 28-Jun-13 06:38:09

Has he had a full Local Authority assessment regarding his care needs? Even if you feel he needs a care home, the LA won't go down that route until they have ruled out other options. You don't say if your dad already has a care package . If not, an LA is very unlikely to consider a care home until carers have been tried. Also, it depends on what your dad wants. IF he had carers in to help with certain personal care tasks ( washing, dressing, cooking etc) that would support him to remain independent.
If he does have a care package and it's no longer meeting his needs, ask for a reassessment . If it comes to the point where a care home is the best way of meeting your dads needs , and he agrees, then the social worker should bs able to tell you which local homes accept LA rates.
Age Concern has quite a lot of good info on care homes etc.

You definitely need an assessment of needs through social services. You cannot find a home, place him yourself and ask for funding. Social services will help place him if required.

Providing you choose a home without top up fees then he will be financially assessed to contribute income less his pocket money allowance if no assets.

I should state that is only once SS agree he needs perm care.

Fionar71 Thu 22-Aug-13 13:29:13

One thing to consider is that, if he needs care at night or 24/7 then few social services departments will fund home care and will try to push towards residential/nursing care.

First step really needs to be the comprehensive care needs assessment.

Fionar

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now