This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

New car seats after minor accident?

(10 Posts)
Tiredandtorn Fri 08-Apr-16 09:10:57

Hi. We were involved in a minor car accident this week. We're Ll absolutely fine and the car just needs cosmetic repairs.

I've read that car seats should be replaced after a collision, but does anyone know that this is the case after a minor prang too?

Thanks

FaithAscending Fri 08-Apr-16 09:12:51

It depends on the speed you were travelling. I had a minor bump (reversed in to another car a car park!). this link should help you decide.

poocatcherchampion Fri 08-Apr-16 09:14:49

I would.

Tiredandtorn Fri 08-Apr-16 09:18:19

About 15- 20 mph. Idoit pulled out on me and clipped my bumper knocking be sideways into the barrier

FaithAscending Fri 08-Apr-16 09:22:57

Were you able to drive away from it? If you do decide to replace you should be able to put it on your insurance claim.

Tiredandtorn Fri 08-Apr-16 09:25:53

The car is fine. One tiny dent and cosmetic scratches. Drove home and to work yesterday with no problems at all

Frazzled2207 Fri 08-Apr-16 09:35:07

In that case I wouldn't unless I could claim on insurance and I was making a claim anyway. I would if speed was 30mph +

PandasRock Fri 08-Apr-16 09:41:52

I would (and did, recently). My car was reversed into - my car going at about 20mph, car whizzed out of side driveway, across road and into front driver side wheel arch. 2 children in car.

I replaced both car seats (one hbb, one rear facing toddler seat). Insurance didn't argue at all, and didn't want to see the old seats/check for damage at all. All they wanted before they paid out was proof new seats had been bought - receipts plus a picture of seats in the car.

No one was hurt in the accident, but my car was dented enough to need a week in the repair shop. No airbags deployed, but I didn't want to take a risk on the car seats, it just isn't worth it, imo.

Anovelsolution Fri 08-Apr-16 09:43:56

This happened to me recently 2 car seat fitted (1 in use, 1 not) at the time of a very low speed collision in a car park where someone reversed into the side of my car. I asked my insurance company who said to send them photo's of the seats and replacement prices which they then checked and I received a cheque within a week for the cost of replacing both seats. They advised the only way to know if the seats integrity had been compromised would be if I was involved in a further accident!! shock

Tiredandtorn Fri 08-Apr-16 10:03:29

Thanks all - just heard back from the insurance company and both are being replaced at no cost to me. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now