This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

baby website

(7 Posts)
BabyMilo1 Tue 26-Jan-16 12:10:01

Hi all,

So I'm thinking about building my own website as I've had so much hassle trying to find a rear facing car seat for my 9 month old baby that will fit my diddy Jazz!

Can you guys think of any other things that might be useful or that you found difficult to make a decision on? Just thinking about what else I might be able to include.

ILoveMyMonkey Tue 26-Jan-16 12:22:11

We purposefully signed up to which to take note of the 'do not buy' list and the safety guide as safety was our main priority when buying a seat. I would want that included.

AliceMum09 Tue 26-Jan-16 16:25:26

The Which? car seat reviews are not that much use, especially for bigger rear facing seats. My 3 year old is in a Which? 'Don't Buy' seat! Contrary to what they say it is easy to fit, she has enough leg room and she's not bored!

ILoveMyMonkey Tue 26-Jan-16 21:06:25

The Which? car seat reviews are not that much use, especially for bigger rear facing seats. My 3 year old is in a Which? 'Don't Buy' seat! Contrary to what they say it is easy to fit, she has enough leg room and she's not bored!

That's your prerogative, the OP asked what people found useful and would like to see, this is what we found useful - I can't comment on your seat as I don't know what you bought or why Which listed it as a don't buy but we chose to avoid the don't buy seats as they aren't as safe as their recommended seats.

moggle Wed 27-Jan-16 08:55:28

Think Alice's point was just that Which take into account other aspects of the seat than just safety (eg how easy covers are to remove and clean, how easy they think it is to fit, etc) so their recommended seats aren't necessarily any safer than the don't buys, or the other seats they review. They have certainly labelled seats "don't buy" for reasons like covers being hard to wash - it's not just, or even primarily about, the pure safety of the seat.

ILoveMyMonkey Wed 27-Jan-16 09:07:05

Which is why we read the reviews and looked at the safety aspects in the reccommended list and chose seats which scored highly for their front and side impact safety.

Once again the OP asked what people found useful and Which safety reviews were what we found useful.

Laquila Wed 27-Jan-16 09:07:39

I second Alice's point ref Which. Having down a ridiculous amount of research when buying an ERF seat, I've come to realise that their reviews aren't the be-all and end-all. (In fact my 2.5yr old is also in a Don't Buy, in his GPs' car!)

OP, to be honest, there are a fair few resources out there for ERF seats - the In Car Safety Centre, Rear-Facing Toddlers FB page, ERF Mama blog etc but I do appreciate your frustration - it would be nice to have a one-stop shop for this. The problem is that it's difficult for anyone to tell you definitely what will or won't fit in your car - it depends on legroom needed for other passengers, boot space needed (and whether you've therefore moved the back bench seat, like in our car), how much leg room your toddler will be happy with, what other car seats you need fitted too etc. That's why most people recommend going in person to a reputable retailer for advice, but of course this isn't practical for everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now