This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Occasional booster seat for a 5 year old?

(6 Posts)
GnarlyOldGoatDude Sun 03-Jan-16 18:20:45

Have 3 DC of my own, all in "proper" seats across my middle row of seats. I've got a 7 seater with 2 seats in the boot that are usually folded down. If we occasionally wanted to give a lift to another child, are the sit-on booster cushions a complete fail, safety-wise? I know high back boosters are much better, but what's the best option for a very occasional or unexpected/ emergency lift for another child?

Any advice would me much appreciated! I don't want to spend a fortune as it wouldn't be used often, and not too big as the plan would be to keep in the boot in case it was needed.

SeldomAthleticFC Sun 03-Jan-16 18:24:49

How about a Bubble Bum - inflatable booster. I use one for my 6 year old and it's fine.

Jesabel Sun 03-Jan-16 18:29:32

Why not just get a standard booster cushion?

GnarlyOldGoatDude Sun 03-Jan-16 22:30:48

Thanks both- yes I'd been looking at the bubble bum, but mixed reviews about it deflating and slipping.

I was posting as I'm sure I heard quite recently that the basic booster seats (as opposed to a high back booster) weren't considered safe? Will have to google a bit more

AliceMum09 Mon 04-Jan-16 13:22:55

I'm the same, we have a "5+2" car and I always have a backless booster cushion in the boot 'just in case'

High backed boosters are a lot safer, especially for 4-8 year olds, but if it's a case of using a backless booster or no child seat at all then a backless booster is fine.

For occasional unplanned use a backless booster is better than nothing, and obviously you'd use it for the oldest/tallest child that you were putting in the car.

Jesabel Mon 04-Jan-16 17:30:47

If you have space to store an extra HBB in your car then do that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now