This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Moving from group 2 to 2-3 car seat - thoughts?

(10 Posts)
pieceoftoast Mon 11-Aug-14 21:24:06

Currently have Britax 2 way elite but use it forward facing in our current car as it's a 2 door so we can't secure it on the front seats to use rear facing. I have always felt that the side protection with this seat is lacking.

DS is now 3 1/2 and weighs 18kg.

The maximum weight for the Britax is 24kg.

I'm pregnant and struggling with my back every time I strap DS into the car - as well as the side protection not being great (imo), the straps are a pain and constantly twisted so I have to climb into the car to strap DS in safely every time - they never seem to be completely untwisted which is frustrating.

DH and I agreed a new car seat was needed but pointless to buy another group 2 as DS is now at the weight limit for most of those (18kg).

Have just ordered a Hauck Bodyguard group 2-3 as the side protection looks great and we've read fantastic reviews. However the advice online about car seats says to use the group 2 car seat for as long as possible - until your DC reaches the maximum weight limit. Obviously DS hasn't reached the weight limit of 24kg on the Britax.

I'm thinking this advice is general to group 2 seats whose weight limit is 18kg?

Basically I'm trying to balance out whether it would be better for DS to:

A) remain in the Britax and have the 5 point seat belt but rubbish side protection

B) go into the Hauck and use the adult 3 point seat belt but have side protection I feel much happier with (added bonus of not breaking my back messing about with straps every time we go in the car)

Sorry for the rambly post. I should just move him into the Hauck shouldn't I?

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 11-Aug-14 21:47:03

Isnt the limit 18kg for forward facing and the upper limit for rear? so he is at the limit.now.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 11-Aug-14 21:48:35

I had a 2way rear facing in a three door - secured to the passenger side chair then I used to climb in and out of tje drivers side. It was a micra. I now have it in a five door which is admitedly easier but it worked RFing in a three door.

pieceoftoast Mon 11-Aug-14 22:14:01

Oh I didn't know there was an upper limit for rear facing on the 2 way elite. Not sure how practical it would have been for us to use it rear facing in our tiny car anyway but interesting to know! Makes me think that putting him in the Hauck is the best decision smile

Squtternutbaush Tue 12-Aug-14 07:53:23

24kg is the rear facing limit only, 5 point harnesses aren't safe past 18kg when forward facing so he is at the limit already.

pieceoftoast Tue 12-Aug-14 13:44:20

Oh ok. Thanks squtter. I must have misread the safety guidelines.

AliceMum09 Tue 12-Aug-14 20:47:28

The TWE can be used forward facing with the child in the 5 point harness right up until the child weighs 25kgs

incarsafetycentre.co.uk/product/2-way-elite-black-thunder/

Squtternutbaush Tue 12-Aug-14 21:00:25

Oops sorry my info is outdated blush

sleeplessinderbyshire Sat 16-Aug-14 10:05:20

A 5 point harness will always be safer than a HBB with adult belt until the child has exceeded the 5 point harness weight. I'd doubt any child is sensible enough to go onto a HBB til at least aged 4 maybe older. My very cautious and sensible 5 year old has just started going on a HBB (succumbed to peer pressure as all her friends are on boosters and she is finally heavy enough) Keep him in the TWE until he is 4 at least

TokenGirl1 Mon 18-Aug-14 22:19:14

Or try a crelling harness on a hbb? Am looking at that now for my son who also has two way elite and will reach 25kg in 6 months time. I want to keep him in a five point harness for safety and this looks like a sensible option.

Yes, it is very annoying on the Britax straps, always twisted. My friend says the same on her Britax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now