This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

BeSafe Izi Combi X3 Isofix - suitability for infant

(3 Posts)
MelisMum Mon 28-Apr-14 19:59:47

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice.

We recently purchased the Izi Combi X3 Isofix (at great expense, as you will know) from Mothercare who happily sold us the seat for our 2-month-old as 'suitable from birth'. We saw the baby in the display version and she looked comfy enough, and I had read great reviews about the seat online. Only after installing the seat tonight and reading the instruction manual did see it notes that the seat is 'recommended from 6 months' . #instertfrustratedfacehere

So what do I do? It says SUITABLE from birth, but RECOMMENDED from 6 months. I'm a new mum and don't have much experience with these things.

We took the baby for a short drive in it, and I sat in the back with her. She looked comfy and even fell asleep. But I'm concerned that she's too upright, putting pressure on her spine and neck.

- do you think it's okay to use sparingly this way, since the manufacturer says it's suitable from birth?
- do you have any advice for making it tilt back further?

Does anyone have any experience with using this seat? Esp with a young child?

I don't want to spend MORE money buying another infant carrier (our current one is not safe enough, in my opinion - hence moving to another seat). And I know we will use the Izi Combi eventually as it gets such great reviews. So I don't regret buying it, I guess - but I wonder what can I do NOW?

Sorry this is long winded. I'm a little deflated after thinking we'd made such a great purchase. Thanks for your advice smile

HelicopterDad Tue 29-Apr-14 10:19:44

This is very naughty marketing and poor sales advice. I have no personal experience of using this seat with a child under 6 months, but it is completely unacceptable to advertise a seat as "ECE R44-04 approved for rear-facing installation group 0+/1: 0 - 18 kg." and then clearly state that it should not be used until your child can sit upright!

You don't expect this sort of nonsense when paying about £350 for a car seat.

I would suggest that you contact the manufacturer and demand an more detailed explanation

HelicopterDad Wed 30-Apr-14 15:32:25

I hope you don't mind, but I emailed the company to ask for clarification and this is their response:

"Thank you for your enquiry.

The seats are approved and safe from Birth however the Infant Carrier/ Baby seat style child car seat specifically designed from birth to 12mths, such as the BeSafe iZi GO is the optimum environment for a newborn so we 'recommend' that, however the other is approved and safe.

Hope that clarifies and apologies for any confusion caused.
Kind regards,

BeSafe UK/ Ireland."

So, you should be fine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now