This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Is Maxi Cosi Priori XP Suitable for 6 month oldf?

(20 Posts)
moongazer Fri 17-Jan-14 13:34:04

My DD is a good sized 4 month old. We have a Maxi Cosi which says from 9 months, Can we put her in this earlier? Is there a baby insert we can buy for it? I am expecting that she will be close to the recommended weight.

If we can't what the hell are we meant to do with her between 6 and 9 months?!! grin

Clearlymisunderstood Fri 17-Jan-14 13:36:04

Your DD needs to be rearfacing until she reaches at least 9kg. Is she really too small for her other car seat? Mine was on 75th centile and still fitted until 13 months.

Rearfacing as long as possible really is the safest option.

moongazer Fri 17-Jan-14 13:40:10

We are not thinking of putting her into it until at least 6 months. But, she is very long, so it's not really just about the weight, her legs are almost hanging over the edge already and I am not expecting her to fit it much after 6 months. I am pretty certain she will be more than 9kg by 6 months grin

17leftfeet Fri 17-Jan-14 13:48:14

Legs bend so them hanging over the edge is not an issue

Children need to be in the correct seat for their weight and physical maturity and rear facing as long as possible

Artandco Fri 17-Jan-14 13:51:48

I can't imagine her being big enough! My two ds's were 95% for height and weight as babies as still fitted the baby rear facing maxi cosi pebble until 15 months.

I think the law is changing soon so all under 18 months will have to rear face. It's much safer

AliceMum09 Fri 17-Jan-14 14:10:59

No, even if she weighs over 9kgs it would be madness to put a 6 month old in a forward facing seat. Don't do it!

I appreciate that you already have the Group 1 seat, but if your DD really is too big for the infant carrier then you are going to have to buy a Group 0+&1 combination seat (or even better a dedicated rear facing Group 1 seat, but again this is more expense when you already have a Group 1 seat)

I'd consider this seat www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplay0_10751_-1_203601_10001 It will give your baby the same space and comfort as the one you already have, but in a rear facing position.

And you need to read the info on www.rearfacing.co.uk to educate yourself as to why being rear facing is much safer (for children under the age of 4, but especially for a 6 month old).

No no no please don't! It would be so dangerous for her! Take her in her current seat to John Lewis, kiddicare, mothercare, halfords etc. with trained car seat experts if you are unsure...I promise you she will be fine in her current seat for a long while yet.

Where is she for weight and height in her red book?

DD is 14 months and is still well within the weight and height for her Maxi Cosi Cabriofix

SoftSheen Sun 19-Jan-14 20:00:51

My DD was in a Group 0 car seat until she was 13 months, despite being 91st centile for weight and 99.6th centile for length.

Babies don't outgrow the seat until their head comes above the top of the seat- where their legs are doesn't matter. The weight limit for group 0 seats is usually 13 kg- this would be huge for a 1 year old, let alone a 6 month old.

Please keep your baby rear facing for as long as possible and consider getting a rear-facing group 1 seat, such as the Britax 2 way elite. It is much safer.

bonzo77 Sun 19-Jan-14 20:04:18

No way. She stays in the infant carrier until she exceeds the max height or weight. Some babies reach that by 9 months, many not until 15 months. The group 1 seat should be used from the lower weight only if the child is too tall for the group 0. Which is very unlikely.

As a pp said, the legs bend. By the time I moved DS to his next seat he was sitting like a frog with his heels up near his bum.

oadcb Sun 19-Jan-14 20:24:40

www.rearfacing.co.UK

Watch the video. In an accident a Infant won't cope forward facing so young.

oadcb Sun 19-Jan-14 20:25:41

and very few babies outgrow their infant carriers early!

oadcb Sun 19-Jan-14 20:36:49
cupoftchai Sun 19-Jan-14 20:42:02

It's ok for her to have to bend her knees legs etc. what u have to watch for is her head coming to within 2inches of the top of the seat. Chances r this will happen before she hits weight limit. They r safer in younger age group seats, so don't rush!
Dd outgrew hers at about 15 months and she is 81st centile height 75? Weight, so chances r your lo will be ok for a long while yet.

cupoftchai Sun 19-Jan-14 20:44:40

However the debate about extended rear facing ie into group 1 or 2 seats is still a debate- the bit about keeping an under 18month old rear facing is much more accepted as being best for them

lilyaldrin Sun 19-Jan-14 20:47:05

I really wouldn't worry about leg space either. Infant seats last until 13kg, not 9kg now, which is the average weight of a 2.5 year old. Wait til the top of her head is higher than the seat - few children will be too tall for the infant seat before 12 months (DS was 18 months).

AliceMum09 Sun 19-Jan-14 21:11:33

My 21 month old still fits in a Britax Babysafe infant carrier easily.

oadcb Sun 19-Jan-14 21:47:05

Cupofchai not much of a debate British medical journal recommend until at least 2.5 yes and all experts and manufacturers agree rearfacing travel should be for as long as possible.

You're supposed to keep them in the first seat until their head reaches the top or they hit 13kg, whichever comes first.

It really doesn't matter if their legs come over the end as long as you don't jam them in between the car seat and the car grin

They really slow down growth wise in the second half of the first year, most babies can easily fit into a Group 0 seat for 15 months, I'm not sure why the car seat manufacturers still use the age of 9 months as that was based on old recommendations relating to when most babies can sit unaided. DS is pretty tall but he fit into a baby seat until 18 months and then I put him into a Kiddy Infinity Pro.

KatAndKit Wed 05-Feb-14 14:19:18

My DS is nearly 2 and he only weighs 11.5kg. According to the red book he is average for his age. I think you should use the baby carrier for at last the first year. The new regulations will say 15 months. If your child really does outgrow the baby seat by then, you don't really have any sensible option other than buying a convertible seat that you can rear face and then turn around later on. As others have said, legs off the end does not mean the seat is outgrown. Feet touching the back seat of the car is not a problem either. A baby is too big if their head is over the top, or they don't fit in the harness any more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now