This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

do car seats have an expiry?

(5 Posts)
eggybrokenoff Thu 16-Jan-14 16:56:43

dc3 due later this year. infant carrier will be just over 5 years old. is it ok to use? has no damage, never been in an accident etc

SoonToBeSix Thu 16-Jan-14 17:09:38

Yes normally six years, nothing to do with accidents.

eggybrokenoff Thu 16-Jan-14 20:49:43

any idea how I find out? I rang kiddicare where I bought it and they were a bit vague and unhelpful. actually overall they seem to have gone downhill a bit.

SoonToBeSix Thu 16-Jan-14 20:54:33

It's sometimes printed on a sticker on the seat ave you checked?
If not I would go with six years, if its only just over five years and its a baby seat I would use it as you will only just be using it over six years.

AliceMum09 Thu 16-Jan-14 21:27:09

Britax seats do not expire. I was told this in an email from Britax themselves when I enquired about using a Cosy Tot infant carrier and a First Class Group 0+&1 combination seat that were 6 years old.

I am still using those two seats occasionally and they are 8 years old now (DD2 is 21 months, and in a Multi Tech ERF, but is very petite and only weighs 20lbs so if we're going in someone else's car I don't have to move the Multi Tech I just put her in the infant carrier. Advantages of having a small child!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now