Note: This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQa> section. If you see buying and selling in this topic, please feel free to report it. Thanks, MNHQ.

Britax Eclipse and Prince - differences?

(27 Posts)
MiaowTheCat Tue 14-Jan-14 07:52:14

Please keep to the question asked in this case - thanksl. Just wanting to know the factual differences between the pair of these seats.

SqutterNutBaush Tue 14-Jan-14 13:00:10

I haven't used either of these seats but I'd like to know too as they seen reasonably priced.

Having done a quick google images search of the two Eclipse looks like the seat has a deeper seating position than the Prince which I assume means better side impact protection.

jumperooo Tue 14-Jan-14 13:04:08

We've recently bought an Eclipse. Haven't used it yet as we don't have our own car. My understanding is that the Eclipse has a narrower base unit than most other car seats and fits in a wider range of cars

jumperooo Tue 14-Jan-14 13:12:16

Oh and the recline is better/easier on the eclipse. The eclipse is a newer product, I think the prince is an older model in the britax range

SqutterNutBaush Tue 14-Jan-14 13:13:02

ooh that's good to know jumperooo as we don't have a car either so its not likely to get used much but when it does it will be in various cars.

notso Tue 14-Jan-14 13:20:04

The Prince is a bit lighter and the Eclipse is narrower. I think the Eclipse has replaced the Prince.

We have an Eclipse. We do have a car but I don't drive and DH is mostly at work so we only go in a car a couple of times a month. The Eclipse is really easy to fit as long as you remember to recline it and pull the harness straps tight first. If you forget to do those it can be a faff, especially for those with sausage fingers larger hands like my DH!

oadcb Tue 14-Jan-14 18:56:53

Prince is an old seat based on freeway.... Very old.

Eclipse is newer.

Both forward facing only. Not safest option.

MiaowTheCat Tue 14-Jan-14 19:39:33

Thank you for those giving factual answers and not just deciding to push their own personal crusade.

JellyTipisthebest Tue 14-Jan-14 20:19:14

eclipse is approved for use on a plane and has clip things to hold child belt out of the way.

Although the prince based on the freeway which is a old seat it has been updated and has a lot of side impact now.

AliceMum09 Tue 14-Jan-14 21:52:41

They are both approved for use on a plane, and both can be fitted using only a lap belt if you need to (as well as fitting with a 3-point seatbelt).

I have only owned the Prince, not the Eclipse. The disadvantage of the Prince is that you have to set the recline before you belt it into the car. If you want to alter the recline you have to re-adjust the seatbelt, so it's no good if your child starts the journey upright and awake but then falls asleep.

And the 'recline' will depend on how it fits best with the slope/angle of your vehicle's seats. Mine was always belted in in the middle recline (I think there are 3 positions) because that was how it was most secure in the car.

oadcb Tue 14-Jan-14 22:49:49

I assume that's aim at me. How rude.

oadcb Wed 15-Jan-14 07:28:54

By the way if you don't want opinion then don't post on a public forum. Google the differences instead of expecting it handed to you on a plate.

Other people google and will come across this thread. If one person decides to explore rear facing seats and the safety benefits then great based on my both forward facing not the safest option comment.

Www.rearfacing.co.UK

Quite amused you called it a personal crusade. More highlighting info the government does share despite British medical journal recommending it.

You child, your choice, your conscience if you know there are safer options

oadcb Wed 15-Jan-14 07:29:30

*government doesn't share.....

SqutterNutBaush Wed 15-Jan-14 07:38:53

oadcb I think you're being far more rude than the OP.

The OP asked for opinions on those seats and specified she wasn't interested in other options so for you to wade in with the old guilt trip about forward facing is massively unfair!

We don't know the OP's reasoning for looking into these seats, pressumably because they fit her needs.

Not everyone has the means to buy/fit/use a reat facing seat

SqutterNutBaush Wed 15-Jan-14 07:39:10

*rear

jumperooo Wed 15-Jan-14 07:53:53

As I said, I've just bought an eclipse. We didn't choose rear facing as we don't have a car. We couldn't justify the cost of an expensive ERF sea when it will be once a month at best. We are aware they are safer, and if our child was in a car every day we would have bought one.In the meantime forward facing for occasional use is totally adequate,as the law confirms.

oadcb Wed 15-Jan-14 08:00:21

its not a guilt trip its a factual statement and other people reading deserve to know that even if op doesnt want to.

Very few cars dont fit Rearfacing seats and with them on offer at around £110 they are more affordable.

oadcb Wed 15-Jan-14 08:02:57

For occasional use id recommend a joie stages. Thats not a critism of your choice jumperoo but incase anyone else reading is in similar situation

SqutterNutBaush Wed 15-Jan-14 08:13:57

I think there are a million other threads that can inform people of rear facing.

Ones where the OP hasn't specified that she is not interested in other options, its just rude to spout the your Childs, your concsience line which implies that if anything were to happen to the child she could have listened to you and got a better seat.

Wasn't the Joie stages marked down as having poor impact

SqutterNutBaush Wed 15-Jan-14 08:14:39

*side impact?

Bloody screen keeps freezing.

jumperooo Wed 15-Jan-14 08:46:39

The

jumperooo Wed 15-Jan-14 08:46:55

The Joi

jumperooo Wed 15-Jan-14 08:52:08

Arghh!
The Joie doesn't fit in PIL car, neither does the Britax first class which was the one we wanted. Our local independent baby store also told us they won't sell the Joie seats anymore due to safety concerns as the Stages seat was recalled before.
For occasional use I am happy with our choice. DD won't be going on any long journeys or motorways for the foreseeable future and Both of our parents cars are either estate or 4x4 and will hold up better than a smaller car in a crash

RearFacingToddlers Wed 15-Jan-14 10:10:52

The 'please keep to the question asked' comment in the initial question implies that the OP knows that rear facing is safer and still chooses not to. I will never understand that. Why would you risk your child's safety when you can buy a Joie Stages for 150 or a Steadi for !30?
The Joie may have got a low side impact score but the Eclipse got a high frontal impact score. Since 75% of crashes are frontal and only 20% are from the side Ii would say frontal is more important. The Stages got a high frontal score.
The Stages is very easy to install and much lighter to carry around than the Eclipse. And much more likely to protect your child in a crash.

RearFacingToddlers Wed 15-Jan-14 10:15:43

Sorry I meant that the Eclipse scored LOW on frontal impact meaning it did badly.
In a frontal impact it doesn't matter if a car holds up well. The force of the impact will still throw the child's head forward with enough force to cause serious head neck and spine injuries.
Refusing to sell the Stages because of that recall is just silly. It was recalled because they decided to make one little screw a bit longer. It was purely a precaution nothing ever happened.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now