This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Confused about next car seat after 0+

(17 Posts)
IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Tue 14-Jan-14 00:01:46

My 5 month old is starting to look uncomfortable in his Besafe izi go car seat. He is a long baby and looks hunched up in the deep seat. I am not convinced it is safe anymore, the shoulder straps are at their highest and he doesn't look like he used to and I want to replace it. I am happy to get a 0+-1 rather than a group 1 if necessary.

My questions are:
The current seat is Isofix and I love the convenience, in the next seat which will be left in the car much of the time is Isofix necessary? I have read it isn't necessarily safer, but helps to avoid incorrect installation. Also, with my current seat I can use seat belts as well, is this the case with the next stage or do I have to choose?

I would ideally like the option of extended rearfacing, but to be able to use forward facing just in case. Does this severely limit my options? I thought I would go with the rearfacing besafe, but am not sure now. I have been looking at the Britax Dualfix Combination Car Seat which looks good, but a bit pricey at the moment tbh - I didn't think I would be switching yet, so hadn't budgeted for it.

I have seen some threads about seats that swivel to make it easier to fasten the child in, but some say it isn't as important with rear facing. Is this feature just a gimmick?

SqutterNutBaush Tue 14-Jan-14 07:50:37

I don't have any experience with this seat but 5 months is very young to be growing out of a 0+ car seat.

Does it have a lot of padding that you can remove?

As they gain head control and straighten up a bit they can look like they're filling the seats more but they are sage until they reach the weight limit out their head goes above the top of the seat.

If you do really want to switch now I think ERF is the best choice as you say, my daughter is 10 months with plenty of room in her cabriofix so we haven't really ventured into next stage seats yet but I've heard good things about the Britax you mentioned and apparently the Joie Stages and Hauck Varioguard (Isofix only for rear facing) are both good budget ERF seats at less than £200 and both can face forwards too.

In answer to your questions Isofix is basically to stop incorrect fitting which is handy if its in and out the car but not necessity.

The swivel feature again is "nicel to gave if you have a 3 door car that it could be awkward to reach in behind the seats but otherwise you won't need.

HTH smile

DipDabDabDip Tue 14-Jan-14 07:54:14

He's very young to be moved. Dd is nearly 10 months and still in her original seat. Like above is there a padded insert or headrest you can take out? There was in ours. Dd's legs are over the edge of hers but she's not at the weight limit and her heads not over the top so she's still fine if a little squished. She doesn't complain when she's in there!

MikeTheShite Tue 14-Jan-14 07:55:29

Hi I have a britax two way elite which is erf its excellent ive had it since dd was 10 months. It also has a high chair type attachment which is great.

IHatePopUpTents Tue 14-Jan-14 08:05:03

How extended rear facing are you after? We have a britax... Thing that will stay rear facing until 29lbs, which at my dds current growth rate (91st centile) will be nearly two!
You can get them until 4 years though.. Although I imagine they would be £££

We had isofix for our maxi cosi baby car seat, was perfect to clip in and out , but out new one is secured by straps, and tbh it's almost easier! I can transfer it out if my car and into my mums in 5 mins, and there's no faffing around (some cars don't have isofix!)

Depends on whether you'll ever want the seat in another car!

GeeinItLaldy Tue 14-Jan-14 08:10:49

5 months does seen very young to have outgrown his first car seat. My DD is a 99th centiler for height and weight and managed 8 months in her first seat, until her head started to reach beyond the top of the seat.

I actually went to the In Car Safety Centre when she was 6 months for advice on next stage seats and they advised keeping her in the first seat for as long as possible. The salesperson saw DD in her seat and estimated that it would do another 2 months or so at that stage. He was bang on. We opted for a Britax 2 way elite when the time came to move up.

HappyAsASandboy Tue 14-Jan-14 08:14:36

I would try to hold out for a bit longer with the infant carrier, as lots of ERF seats are suitable from about 6 months (they say they're fine from 0kg, but actually more like 6 months because of the limited recline on them).

We love our BeSafe IZI Combi X3 seats, which are isofix rears facing to 18kg but can be used forward facing belted. BeSafe have also just released a version that goes to 25kg rear facing (belted I think).

The In Car Safety Centre website has loads of ERF models with good descriptions, and the ladies in the shop are very helpful over the phone or in person.

sebsmummy1 Tue 14-Jan-14 08:23:23

Don't they say they should change seats once their head gets parallel with the top of it?

If you are not happy with the seat then absolutely change it!! I think the next one up requires your child to be 9 kg. but I know you can get ones that are both rear and front facing and take the child from birth to 4 years of age.

In terms if isofix then I think you are right. If the seat is bring moved a lot it does make the seat easier to put in correctly. However if it's staying in the car you can make sure the standard base is correctly fitted and just leave it there.

Besafe have a new seat out that is erf from 6 months to 25kg. It's not isofix but will last to about 5 years. We have an isofix izi x3 and it can forward face if there is no isofix, though we have only used it like this once.

LondonLancashireRose Tue 14-Jan-14 08:40:13

The Britax Dualfix is suitable from newborn as it significantly reclines and comes with a padded newborn insert (discovered this when we bought it for very long DS at 9 months) so would be fine for you. You just need to bear in mind that it is permanently attached to its isofix base so can't be used as a travel system for little ones.

I absolutely love this seat, DS is so comfortable in it and the ability to turn it to the side and easily adjust the straps are really helping my back ache (DS now weighs 11kg at 9 months). It is very expensive, but if you can afford it I think it's worth it.

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Tue 14-Jan-14 10:38:42

Hi thanks for the replies.

I know he should still fit in the seat but he looks so awkward. He is just over 14lbs so should be fine but the seat is so padded and deep it doesn't seem right to me. We have removed the wedge and cushion from the bottom. I tried to remove the head hugger but it was attached to the padded bits around the harness. Also the user guide says to remove the wedge and cushion but nothing about the head hugger, I will email Besafe.
He looks more comfortable in the maxi cosi we were given by my brother as the seat is less padded so seems bigger.

I will check out the joie stages car seat. I know you should keep babies in the infant carrier as long as possible, but a combination seat would be as safe wouldn't it?

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Tue 14-Jan-14 10:40:45

Forgot to say, I'd like him to be rear facing for at least a couple if years with the option to either carry on after that or turn him round. If he would stay in longer all the better.

SqutterNutBaush Tue 14-Jan-14 11:21:59

you can take the head hugger out when they can hold their heads in position so should be fine smile

Babies don't "need" to bee in an infant carrier at all so please don't worry, these were made for parents convenience any suitable from birth seat is perfect

Wuxiapian Tue 14-Jan-14 11:28:55

The advice is to stay in first seat until their head is level with the top.

Britax and MaxiCosi do rear facing until after 4, I think.

oadcb Tue 14-Jan-14 19:00:41

Problem you will have with next size erf is the shoulder slots will be too high so you would need one from birth.

Try removing padding from seat and bulky clothes.

Have you seen if harness slot is correct?

Does he complain?

PumpingRSI Wed 15-Jan-14 07:21:12

I have the same besafe car seat as you. I agree it's far more padded than maxi cosi. I have taken out the head hugger and the shoulder pads attached as my DS was far too squished. he's better now. you say you've taken out newborn wedge, and cushion under the bum and pulled the shoulder straps up from behind so they are higher up. My ds is v tall and he still has another inch at 9 months. I know he looks quite packed in but it is still safer for him than an older car seat.

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Wed 15-Jan-14 15:27:18

Hi, if I was going to get another seat now it would definitely be a group 0+-1 so it would be suitable from birth rather than a group one. I completely agree it's safest to keep him in the infant carrier or combination seat until he outgrows it.

pumpingRSI I wasn't sure about removing the shoulder straps, I didn't know if they were necessary so I could try that as it is the only way to remove the head huger.

oadcb he doesn't complain! but if I put him in there in anything other than a t-shirt/very thin jumper he just looks so hunched up and uncomfortable, and I can't imagine it is very safe somehow.

I don't put him in the seat in very bulky coats as I have read this is unsafe, but even in a thin jersey jacket or his parka with the lining removed I just can't get him to sit right. He is warm enough just with a blanket due to the amount of padding in the seat though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now