This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

FF seat for 3 yo which takes over 18kg, not Isofix

(16 Posts)

DD has just turned 3 and isn't 18 kg yet, but probably will be before 4. She is in RF Britax TWE in my and DH's cars. My DPs need a new seat for her in their car that can also take her older cousin (hence getting it now, not when she gets to 18kg). I'm not convinced in her going in a high backed booster which seems to be the next option. It is mostly the idea of the 3 point car seat being used rather than a 5 point harness. I don't trust her not to wriggle out or undo it. It has to be FF as it will be going in and out of their car and I don't think we could be confident of fitting a RF seat each time.

So, does such a seat exist?

bundaberg Sat 19-Oct-13 22:04:20

well the short answer is no.

the only 2 harnessed seats that go over 18kg are the 2 way elite and the xtensafix (which is isofix)

i mean, you could go for something like the britax evolva 1-2-3 which can have the harness removed for the older child, or one of the kiddy ones with the impact shield.
in both cases you can ONLY use it with the 3 point seatbelt once the child is over 18kg though... so your dd would be ok in for a while, but would then have to use it just with seatbelt

hettienne Sat 19-Oct-13 22:08:02

Do you want one with a harness that takes children over 18kg?

gallicgirl Sat 19-Oct-13 22:08:18

We have cybex pallas which is impact cushion design. DD is 2.9 but not sure of her weight. We have no plans to remove the cushion any time soon and I dont think we need to size wise.
Could you visit an in-car safety centre to try a few?

itshowwedo Sat 19-Oct-13 22:14:20

I have a kiddy one with an impact shield. V easy to fit/move between cars. Your DD would have the impact shield, the older child needn't.

hettienne Sat 19-Oct-13 22:16:17

There are car seats designed with children with special needs that have 5 point harnesses up to 36kg - Britax do one. They are very expensive though.

I have a Kiddy seat with an impact cushion and DS has never tried to undo or wriggle out of it. He is 3.2 but not 15kg yet, and you can use the cushion up to 18kg. The average girl doesn't reach 18kg until 5 years old (it's 75th centile at 4).

SweepTheHalls Sat 19-Oct-13 22:16:32

Jane do one with a shield too.

bundaberg Sat 19-Oct-13 22:17:49

the impact shield can only be used up to 18kg though, and I think the OP wants something to last longer than that

Davinaaddict Sat 19-Oct-13 22:44:03

We got this one and it's great. Easy to fix with the seat belt and 5 point harness for the smaller ones.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006Q61894

5madthings Sat 19-Oct-13 22:49:31

On another thread somoen li led to a britax that is ff can be used with PR without isofix and HD a five point harness u to. 25kg...will see if I can find it.

5madthings Sat 19-Oct-13 22:49:57

It was about £200 tho.

JellyTopicecreamisthebest Sun 20-Oct-13 04:36:29

If you read the instructions for the Xtensafix here To use it after 18kg you don't use issofix if you want to use the harness you do need a tether point though

Winterwardrobetime Sun 20-Oct-13 04:43:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DD is 3.1 and is 16.3 kg. She is between 75th and 91st centile for weight and 91st for height, so will almost certainly be 18kg before she is 4, probably a couple of months before 4.

It sounds like we will need to tell my DPs to get a high backed booster for their other DGD and keep the current seat for DD until she has reached 18kg and then trust her in the 3 point seat belt.

Thanks for all the responses.

bundaberg Sun 20-Oct-13 11:45:43

is it possible to use your TWE in their car when she outgrows the one they curretnly have for her? it's really, really simple to install forward facing...

That's a good idea Bundaberg. I didn't know that it is easy to install FF. They want to be as independent as possible, so I will suggest that they use the TWE when possible, but once she is 18kg then they can use their high backed booster if they can't get hold of our TWE.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now