This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Benefits of Familyfix?

(17 Posts)
Boardiegirl Mon 02-Sep-13 17:55:49

Hi can anyone tell me what benefits you get from using a Pearl maxi cosi seat with a Familyfix base, as opposed to a different maxi cosi seat with a normal seat belt?

Im using a stage 0 maxi cosi with the easy base and it is easy to click in place with baby in it. However, now shes going into stage 1 seat i wont be wanting to take the seat in and out at all, so whats the point of the base? Its just that familyfix are very expensive even preowned but if mumsnetters can explain the benefits to me i may think its worth it.

Ive seen a lovely reclining maxi cosi for example but uts not one that goes with the base.
The bases must be good tho cos they hold their value and everyone wants them!!

All replies very welcome smile

LillyofWinchester Mon 02-Sep-13 19:27:23

I believe the point of the base unit is for safety, however if the seat is strapped in properly using the seat belt then they are both just as safe as each other. The base unit makes it harder for you to fit the seat unsafely.

That's what I've been led to believe from other mumsnet terms anyway.

I'm going to be getting a new car seat soon and I don't think I'll bother with the base as like you say, it's not like I'll be taking it in and out of the car all the time.

Boardiegirl Mon 02-Sep-13 21:12:54

Thanks a lot, thats what ibthought

Boardiegirl Mon 02-Sep-13 21:17:47

Whoops didnt mean to post that yet!
Thats what i thought but theyre so incredibly popular i thought there must be more to it that i wasnt grasping! Im a grandparent so things have changed soooooo much since we brought ours up!
Another helpful thing i just read was that babies should stay un their rear facing first stage seat as long as poss, until their heads are above the seat back. Im glad cos i will get a bit longer from it now! Shes 7 months so maybe another 3 months if im lucky!

Thanks for your help smile

Boardiegirl Mon 02-Sep-13 21:39:40

Anyone have any different views??

lagoonhaze Mon 02-Sep-13 22:24:48

Children should stay rearfacing for as long as possible. My DD 22mths has only just grown out of infant carrier.

She has an axkid kidzofix. I wont forward face her til she is 4yrs old minimum.

The only benefits of the familyfix are for maxi cosi to try and tie you in to getting the next stage from them! The base only serves as the isofix points / leg prop other group 1 FF seats have.

Please look at rearfacing.co.uk , rearfacingtoddlers.com etc for more info on why rearfacing is up to five times safer.

lagoonhaze Mon 02-Sep-13 22:25:09

rearfacing.co.uk
rearfacingtoddlers.com

LillyofWinchester Mon 02-Sep-13 22:26:46

No problem, I see what you mean about why would they be so popular? Maybe people with two cars swapping the seats between both frequently? Or people worried about safety.

Boardiegirl Mon 02-Sep-13 22:41:41

Yes maybe. You should see them selling on ebay! They go for like £65-£80 each!!

Thanks for the advice re rearfacing; this is the report I had read too!
Im hoping to keep DGD in her little maxi cosi for as long as poss smilesafe n sound!

lagoonhaze Mon 02-Sep-13 22:46:35

If cost is a factor look at a Joie Stages which RF til 18kg :-)

Boardiegirl Tue 03-Sep-13 22:45:10

Ive narrowed it down to the Cosatto Moove or the Cosatto Mosi Pretti Kitty...any preference or do you know the difference? Moove is £77 and Kitty £67, both recline smile
PS I love cats so may be biased sad

Boardiegirl Tue 03-Sep-13 22:49:25

Or a maxi cosi priori??
This is so hard for someone who finds decision-making difficult!!
Hellllp?

lagoonhaze Tue 03-Sep-13 23:01:02

Cosatto car seats I think are made by team tex (they make most own brand/supermarket seats) and I wouldn't touch team tex seats with a barge pole. Low quality. Minimal testing. Same seat often sold with inflated price tag elsewhere.

Stick to maxi cosi or britax if looking at forward facing seats however I really wouldn't get a FF for a child that young (even in a few months). I expect her infant carrier will last her much longer than you imagine.

we just moved dd out of her infant carrier at 16 no. I wouldn't consider forward facing for a baby and particularly not an infant. it is very dangerous.

we have the britax hiway which is a great seat.

if you must go ff I suggest substance over style. one of the well known safer brands like britax.

Boardiegirl Wed 04-Sep-13 23:26:10

Thanks all, gosh its so difficult! I darent even suggest on here that i buy preowned sad
I do have a preowned Maxi cosi priori but my ds's gf only wants their dd to go in a new seat and i do understand the safety aspect particularly after that terrible accident where a baby lost its legs due to a faulty seat recently...tragic hmm

However, Cosatto are the cheapest new 'named' brand but if theyre teamtex then thats a no-no. Crikey, i dont have over £100 for a seat, eeek what to do what to do confused

lagoonhaze Thu 05-Sep-13 13:27:32

I'd buy preowned off someone I knew :-)

You can often get a Britax First Class on offer for under £100. Its fits rearfacing and forward facing. Rearfacing - you would need to get it tried in you car first by a good fitter as it doesn't fit all cars. Forward facing its will fit almost all cars as it has two routings.

There are often Britax seats on offer. Even click and collect at Halfords is cheaper than paying instore price

You could also sign up for babies r us emails and wait for a 20% off promo. Then look at the Joie stages. A seat that will RF til 18kg then forward face.

Good luck with your search.

AmandinePoulain Thu 05-Sep-13 19:15:11

Mothercare have 15% off if you spend over £100 at the moment if that helps? They sell a few erf seats now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now