This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

What car seat should we get for a 6yo, please?

(19 Posts)
Rooners Tue 13-Aug-13 16:58:30

We've got the Kiddy Comfort Pro at the moment for him, but I've been reading about how unsafe the cushion-type seats are, though he doesn't use the cushion bit any more.

Also we are swapping cars with my folks so we'll have Isofix for the first time.

He is a tiny, scrawny 6yo. I've got a Recaro Polaric lined up for ds3 (baby) which is obviously ERF, so pleased about that, (if it fits!) but not sure what to put ds2 in.

Also not sure if ds1 still should have a booster...he is 10yo. Would you recommend an isofix booster seat thing? Or just put him on the Kiddy?

Thankyou, anyone who knows their stuff! smile

Queen0fFeckingEverything Tue 13-Aug-13 17:05:07

We've got a Kiddy seat - I was under the impression they are very safe confused

Think your 10yr old is too big for the Comfort anyway, isn't it a 9-18kg one? We have the Guardian which can be used as a high back booster until 11.

Most high back boosters only go up to 11 I think so tbh I'd go for a booster cushion as it will only be used for a short period.

the 6 and 10 year olds I would have on highbacked boosters yes.
by law your 10 year old doesn't need to be if he is taller than 135cm, but if he'll tolerate using one then I would simply for the extra side impact protection.

depending on your 6 yr olds weight you could possible have him in a harnessed seat... either the britax 2 way elite or the britax xtensafix, both of which are harnessed up to 25kg.

if he's close to/at that weight limit then i'd stick with a regular high-back booster.
the britax kidfix is a good choice if you have isofix

(i sound like a britax rep here don't i? honestly have nothing to do with them lol)

queen... according to Britax (again)...

"In all five-point harness seats, the straps come down over the shoulders and across the hips to fasten to the buckle that comes up between the legs. The harness sits closely against the bony parts of the pelvis (the crotch and hip straps) and across the shoulders and rib cage (the shoulder straps). When a child moves forward in the seat, as they would in a crash, the properly tightened harness is already "holding" the child and it immediately restrains them, spreading the crash force out across the strong bones of the body. There is nothing to impact; nothing for the child to suddenly hit.

Shields do not fasten snugly across a child's pelvis as a five-point harness does, and they do not adjust to the contours of the child's body. This allows more forward and side to side movement than a five-point harness does - both before and during a crash. The shield is buckled in at a set distance from the child and sits at chest or abdomen level. In case of an accident, crash forces will induce localised loading of these body parts."

Rooners Tue 13-Aug-13 17:48:35

Thankyou very very much.

I will weigh ds2. I think he's about 3 and a half stone - will look up that in Kg! Gosh I'm useless.

The Comfort Pro is a high back, sideways-and-upwards extending booster, iykwim - it is meant to last till 11. But it isn't Isofix.

I'll take a look at the Britax ones you mention TIY, thanks for all the info smile

Rooners Tue 13-Aug-13 19:32:28

Right he is about 22-23 kg, so I'm going for the Kidfix - but I'm going for the SICT one, do you think that is a good choice? It seems to be on offer and cheaper than the normal one.

Queen0fFeckingEverything Tue 13-Aug-13 19:49:03

Ah okay thisisyesterday - I'm with you now.

The US seats with a shield are different. They don't sit snug against the child, aren't really designed for impact protection, and are a set distance from them so can't be tightened. That US information refers to seats that have a shield and a harness, where the harness is attached to the shield and so isn't actually properly tight iyswim. Like these

On our Kiddy seat, the shield is moulded and has to be strapped with the car seat belt right up tight against the child. Its also made of shock absorbing stuff <technical> unlike the US shields discussed in the stuff I've seen online.

Queen0fFeckingEverything Tue 13-Aug-13 19:54:24

rooners if the sict is at a good price then yes, i'd get that!

queen, I didn't know that about the US shield seats! I will add that to my repertoire of carseat knowledge grin

Rooners Tue 13-Aug-13 21:47:17

Thankyou both smile

I am a bit lost in this shield business, looking at the Kiddy Guardianfix and Cybex Pallas 2 fix as well - would they be a safer bet than the Britax or about the same?

Rooners Tue 13-Aug-13 21:49:15

the SICT is £99, the kiddyfix around 150+ and the cybex is 220.

JellyTopicecreamisthebest Tue 13-Aug-13 22:11:56

If your child is just using the kiddy as a highback booster the only thing issofix will do is stop it moving if you have a accident and the child is not in the car. With three children in the car I would stay away of impact shields as they are going hard to strap in. You also need to make sure you can fit them all next to each other.

The sict bits stick out so may make it harder to put them next to each other. Britax are bringing out this seat that looks very narrow looking at the fact it doesn't seam to stick out beyond the issofix you can also adjust the SICT. It also looks like it will be easier for the child to see to strap themselves in

is there an isofix sict version?

the bonus of having an isofix hbb is that you don't need to strap it in while travelling with child!

I think I am right in saying that you can't use the impact shield on them beyond 18kg, so no point

you see i should read all new comments before posting myself shouldn't i??

um.. yes... what jelly said :P

lagoonhaze Wed 14-Aug-13 22:37:48

I got the kidfix for around £80 from boots a while back....worth shopping around. Very happy with it.

If going for an non isofix then lighter the better. I really like Britax Adventure (also known as hi liner) Good SIP and always on offer somewhere for around £30.

lagoonhaze Wed 14-Aug-13 22:38:58
Rooners Thu 15-Aug-13 09:03:58

Thankyou all so much. Lol TIY grin

We're not putting three in the back...well not most of the time, as ds1 will be going in the front with me (or perhaps ds3 will if I can turn off the airbag...not sure yet)

I ordered the SICT isofix from Halfords as it was £99 - it's gone up now in that colour, and they have emailed saying it's out of stock! But will wait till more come in and send it in a couple of weeks which is fine as we don't have the isofix car yet. The blue one is still 99 though if anyone else is interested.

They do look super wide but I think that must be a good thing...if they all go in the back at some point, I suppose I will let ds1 have the small booster seat, if all three don't fit side by side.

Only thing is now I've seen the link to the new one, I'm stressing about not having a shock absorbing seatbelt! Gahhh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now