This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Urgent. Putting three car seats into Ford Focus as a one off

(17 Posts)
vez123 Fri 28-Jun-13 08:44:29

Hello, I need some advice on whether it's possible to fit three car seats into the back of our Ford Focus estate. A friend has asked me for a lift and she has a three year old and a 5 week old. I have a three year old myself. It's not a long journey, probably about 4-5 miles. What would be the best arrangement with the car seats? Can one of the three year olds go in a booster seat and then just use the lap belt? We have airbags on the frontal passenger side and I am not sure if this can be turned off.
Thanks a lot

notfarmingatthemo Fri 28-Jun-13 09:00:26

can any of the seats go in with a lap belt. If not they you will have to put the other adult in the middle of the back. the baby behind the driver and the passanger seat as far back as possible with one of the 3 year olds in. Check your handbook to seat if you can turn off the airbag. If you can put the child in that has the biggest (widest) seat

vez123 Fri 28-Jun-13 09:08:32

we have the kiddy guardian pro, i think it needs a 3 point seat belt. not sure about my friend's car seat, i think she has a roemer forward facing one? but they also have a booster seat but I am not sure if we are allowed to use this for a three year old.

tasmaniandevilchaser Fri 28-Jun-13 09:09:50

Need to be 15kg for a booster seat

MortifiedAdams Fri 28-Jun-13 09:14:49

Disable your passenger airbag and then put the 5wo.in the front and the adult in the middle in the back with the lap belt. One.toddler each side in their usual carseats.

vez123 Fri 28-Jun-13 09:18:44

Thanks, my friend's DD is probably 15 kg. My son is definitely over 15 kg. This might be an option..

NoGoodAtHousework Fri 28-Jun-13 09:18:56

I dot honk you can disable passenger air bag in fords without going Ito a garage.
I would suggest one of 3yr old seats in the front with adult in the back in between the other 2.

NoGoodAtHousework Fri 28-Jun-13 09:19:22

*don't think. (Bloody phone!)

vez123 Fri 28-Jun-13 09:19:38

yes, i thought of disabling the passenger airbag. need to find out how...

YoniBottsBumgina Fri 28-Jun-13 09:21:03

Put one child in the front - if you can't turn the airbag off, then put the tallest child there (in their car seat obv) and push the seat back as far as it will go.

One adult has to cramp in the back between a FF and RF seat - this is more comfy than two FF seats anyway because it means you at least get shoulder and hip room on one side!

Although I would be happy enough with a 3 year old in a booster for a short one off.

vez123 Fri 28-Jun-13 09:21:17

Oh missed that message that it can only be done at a garage. I will have a quick check of the handbook but that option is probably out then..

YoniBottsBumgina Fri 28-Jun-13 09:22:19

You can't put a RF seat with an airbag at all. You can put a FF one there but it's not ideal so use the tallest child (less chance of airbag injuring their face) and push the seat back as far as possible.

SparkyTGD Fri 28-Jun-13 09:23:56

If your 3yr olds car seat is forward facing then airbag is not an issue, airbags are only a risk to rear-facing seats, info here

Startail Fri 28-Jun-13 09:33:48

When I needed 3 DC in my old focus, it was oldest in the front seat right back, with whichever car seat used the least leg room behind them.

They are not wide enough for three seats across the back.

Two seats and my size 16 hips is not comfortable. <voice of bitter experience as I'm thinner than DSIS and DH is too tall to stick centre back>

YoniBottsBumgina Fri 28-Jun-13 10:07:20

Booster seats definitely can't be used with just a lap belt BTW. Some forward facing toddler seats can, but you'd have to check the manual.

vez123 Fri 28-Jun-13 21:39:44

Thanks everyone for the responses. Turned out that we have proper seat belts all across the back bench so we used the booster in the end and all fitted fine.

lenats31 Mon 01-Jul-13 18:51:05

Fitted three seats across the backseat in this car

Besafe Izi Combi X3 in the centre backseat
Britax Two Way Elite behind the front passenger seat
Graco babyseat with a base behind driver.

sadly I did not take any photos of it. But it worked well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now