Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Car seats choosing getting far too much!!!

(19 Posts)

I am in the process of starting to look for a car seat for my 7 month old to move into in a few months as she's getting too long for her group 0 one.
She's my first, no one else in the family with children drives so I am stuck. I think I've read every review going, I've looked at tons.
I'm currently at at cross point with the Britax first class plus king in zebra, or the maxi cosi Tobi.
My main specific requirements are:
I want her rear facing as long as I can, a high seat.postition, a reasonable price, a non isofix seat.

My budget it around 150, happy to spend a bit more on the right one. (Present from her grandparents)
Thank you for any help you can give, or any new ones I need to add or remove from the mould!

babsmam Thu 18-Apr-13 10:36:57

Both my kids had maxi cosi to I. I really liked the safety rating and the robustness of it. My oldest is very tall and the height can be adjusted slightly too to accommodate growth. Don't forget to check it will go in your car. Would defo recommend it.

ClairesTravellingCircus Thu 18-Apr-13 13:07:22

Isn't the toby only FF?

The Britax one seems to be very popular, I am also looking into it.

Ahh see I didn't notice that...

babsmam Thu 18-Apr-13 13:20:34

Sorry missed the RF
bit. Yes the tobi is only FF ..

What did you use your tobi from? I've ordered the tobi from halfords to try tommorow. It just looks so comfortable for her

lagoonhaze Thu 18-Apr-13 20:05:27

If you want your daughter to be as safe as possible then you are right about keeping her rearfacing. I would return tobi

Look at www.securatot.co.uk and www.incarsafetycentre.co.uk

Kubalai Thu 18-Apr-13 20:08:53

You can stay rf until 4 in some seats. Try the InCar Safety Centre, they are really knowledgable and helpful.

Thank you ladies, managed to stop the tobi order, the britax arrives tommorow.
I'm going to give that a go, the reviews seem good for what we need and I've got some aaccessories.
Going to keep both seats in the car, do a test run tommorow (as have a mirror so I can see her) and DD can decide.
If she feels she's not ready, I'm sure she will let me know. She's not a bit fan of the car hmm

lagoonhaze Thu 18-Apr-13 20:23:15

The Britax first class really needs you to watch out for buckle crunch when rearfacing. Post pics on if you need advice and keep labels on so you can return if need be

https://www.facebook.com/groups/219575164835215/permalink/323947101064687/?comment_id=323963907729673&offset=0&total_comments=4#!/RearFacingTheWayForward?fref=ts

lagoonhaze Thu 18-Apr-13 20:23:38

I'm really confused as to what buckle crunch is now? Thank you though

lagoonhaze Thu 18-Apr-13 21:12:05

thats why a seat needs to be fitted by someone who is trained (and experienced). Buckle crunch is really common. Have a google.

Thank you lagoon, going to get it all sorted ;-)
Been looking into it tonight and have scared myself silly

lagoonhaze Thu 18-Apr-13 21:29:56

Sorry if you have been scared but yes best to get it looked at properly. Personally a good independant better than halfords. I fit seats for friends as I have lots of experience doing it but even I hate fitting the first class rearfacing (and Ive installed alot of ERF seats as well as FF seats) .

It can be a nightmare to get tight enough so that the bottom horn is solid and I hate how the seatbelt gets in the way of putting baby in.

Personally I would look at a proper ERF seat. Two way elite if on a budget or an axkid is my favourite ERF seat.

WeOnlyPlannedTheFirst Thu 18-Apr-13 22:39:52

2nd getting a proper erf. The Britax first class is really annoying with the seatbelt restricting access and it wobbles quite a lot in some cars. My mum had it for my son and nephew in her car (fitted by my sister) & I wouldn't let my boy go in it. I chucked it and replaced with a two way elite. Rock solid and rf to 25kg - definitely a wiser investment in my book. Not my favourite erf seat but it can't be beaten for value for money and if on a budget it is infinitely favourable to a rf/ff where you need to turn your child forwards at 13 kg.

johhnybegood Sat 11-May-13 09:02:30

Personally I wouldn't go Britax. We had an SHR II and handle busy teice just find quality not as good as their reputation. I spen about 2 weeks researching (I'm bit obsessive!!!) and settled for the maxi cosi priory co think its called. Like it because not of bulky and also reclines back far good for naps. Plus my c max car doesn't have isofix so belt tensioner brilliant!

lagoonhaze Mon 13-May-13 11:17:25

The Priori is only forward facing. The OP wants to keep her child rearfacing.

kernewek79 Thu 16-May-13 12:41:52

OP do you have a Group 0 or 0+ infant carrier? If it is the latter is the baby's head supported and are they under 13Kg. For a 7 month old I would suspect so. You say baby is getting too long for the seat. Do you mean the legs are sticking out the end of the seat and looking a little squished? I wouldn't worry about this and keep using the infant carrier for the time being and save up to get yourself a better ERF seat if that is what you want to do.
As long as baby's head is supported and is not coming over the back of the seat and your baby is within the weight limit, I would keep using it, as it is the best option.
Of course if your seat is a Group 0 (0-10Kg) disregard the above advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now