This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Does an isofix convertible (RF to FF) car seat exist?

(13 Posts)
WeOnlyPlannedTheFirst Thu 18-Apr-13 22:27:12

We have a Triofix. So easy to fit and my son is comfy in it, sleeps well etc. I have no intention to use ff until he hits 18 kg but at least I know we won't have to buy another seat for him. I do like that it fits lots of cars and if it didn't fit rf in one it probably would ff (ie if a friend had to take him somewhere). I would always drive him myself and rf him if at all possible though. As far as I am concerned rf is non negotiable. I'm happy to wrestle him in to his seat and I don't really care if friends/neighbours/relatives etc are tutting! Having said that 9/10 times he goes in fine and the other time he is trying to force his butt into one of the babies' seats!

sleeplessinderbyshire Thu 18-Apr-13 22:11:24

my DD will be 4 in august. she is still RF in a besafe and moans like anything if we go in her dad's car in a FF kiddy guardian that she is too low down and can't see so I'd ignore anyone who tells you they will want to swap to FF. Anyway as a parent on things like safety my word is final so actually if she didn't like RF it would be tough shit, she's safer RF and that's the way she'll go til I need the RF seat for her little sister which should be when DD1 is 4 at least

AndBingoWasHisNameOh Wed 10-Apr-13 22:32:19

Wasn't that far...

The Besafe is c£350 btw

AndBingoWasHisNameOh Wed 10-Apr-13 22:29:28

We recently bought a rf stage 1 seat which can also go fwd facing- besafe izi isofix. We looked at the Cybex but found it small- our average sized dd want that far off the top at 14 months.

KosherBacon Wed 10-Apr-13 22:22:01

Wow the swivel function on the Cybex Sirona looks amazing as I love the ease of being able to put them in and tighten the straps facing you and then turn the seat around to RF. I've always been worried about having to climb in the back and getting into awkward positions with an ERF. Are there any others that are as neat and easy to turn round but a bit less than £400.

KosherBacon Wed 10-Apr-13 22:16:36

When I say refuse I've had people try put me off EFR as they say that kids refuse to use them and they have screaming blue murder rows about them.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

MegMogAndOwl Wed 10-Apr-13 22:01:22

Both the Hauck Varioguard and Cybex Sirona are isofix and rf til 18kg. They can be used ff too.

The Hauck one is new so I'm not sure if there's many reviews. The Cybex is expensive and I'm not sure the swivel feature is worth the extra £100-£150.

The others seats that have already been mentioned might last longer, I don't know how they all compare with the height of the back of the seat.

Oh and my dd is 19 months and currently hates going into her rf car seat, but she also hates the buggy so I doubt a ff seat would be any different. I just smile sweetly at my well meaning interfering neighbours saying I should turn her around, whilst trying to wrestle her in grin

Kubalai Wed 10-Apr-13 21:24:32

Our Klippan Triofix does, it has an Isofix base that you can use rf or ff, then ff until 12. I got ours form the InCar Safety Centre in MK. They are really helpful on the phone.

lagoonhaze Wed 10-Apr-13 21:15:59

It gets a good review from those who i know have one including me.

I dont get the refuse to use it at 2 bit though? I have a very natural/gentle parenting style but i refuse to be swayed on things like car seats. My son 5 hates being in a high backed booster as all his mates on cushions. Tough not safe so not happening. My daughter will rearfacing for as long as possible and she knows no different!

I would use if forward facing if really necessary. I wouldnt use it as a high backed booster as something lighter weight is safer when belted in when that staged reached.

JollyPurpleGiant Wed 10-Apr-13 21:12:23

Lots of extended RF car seats go up to age 4 I'm pretty sure.

What do you mean "refuse to use it"? What if they refused to use the forward facing one? You wouldn't just stop putting them in it.

KosherBacon Wed 10-Apr-13 21:09:30

I just want to ensure that we get a car seat that lasts. I don't want to spend £300 on a car seat only for them to refuse to use it at 2 and have to buy another. I'd like one that gives flexibility and lasts. Does the Axkid kidzofix get good reviews?

lagoonhaze Wed 10-Apr-13 21:02:03

Axkid kidzofix does all that although I wouldnt use it FF until absolutely necessary!

KosherBacon Wed 10-Apr-13 20:26:52

I'm starting out researching RF car seats for DS who is 6months (so a few months to go). We drive a Skoda Octavia estate. In my head I'd like a convertible car seat that starts off rear facing but can turn into forward facing later. If also like an isofix installation so that it is safer. I'd like it to be easy to adjust and do up. I don't mind if it needs to be professionally installed as we only have one car so It won't be going in and out of other cars. Does such a car seat exist? And does it get good reviews?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now