This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Would you bother with a base, if car seat is not being moved?

(9 Posts)
TwitchyTail Mon 25-Mar-13 22:21:39

We have two Maxi-Cosi Cabriofix infant seats, one for each car. We were planning to leave them in the cars and strap in with seatbelts each time. But a few friends with children have said it's much better to have a base.

Neither of the cars have isofix, so if we were to get a base, it would have to be the Easybase (belted in version). Is there any advantage to doing this, if the seats are going to be left in the cars at all times anyway? (Mainly, is it safer? Or if we strap the seats in correctly will that be just as good?)

Thanks in advance! smile

MortifiedAdams Mon 25-Mar-13 22:22:54

A correctly fitted.non-isofix car seat is equally as safe as a correctly fitted isofix seat.

The isofox.removes the margin for error.

memphis83 Mon 25-Mar-13 22:25:41

The advantage would be not having to keep belting it in. You would have to undo the belt to get baby out as it goes over the lap. Then once baby is out you really would need to strap it in/secure it somehow so you don't damage the seat if you had to brake suddenly.

TwitchyTail Mon 25-Mar-13 22:33:31

Ah yes. Did not think of the seatbelt over lap. (Can you tell we haven't been out much with newborn...)

kernewek79 Wed 27-Mar-13 21:02:36

"A correctly fitted.non-isofix car seat is equally as safe as a correctly fitted isofix seat.

The isofox.removes the margin for error."

In an ideal world, yes, but have you seen the crash test data for the Cabrio belt fitted? Poor side impact protection. Seats like the BeSafe Izi Go and Cybex Aton 2/3 do very well either way but for some reason Maxi Cosi don't seem to be that bothered about belt routing. The Pebble doesn't seem to do great either.

lagoonhaze Wed 27-Mar-13 21:27:18

Do you have links to that crash data?

ChippingInIsEggceptional Wed 27-Mar-13 21:33:11

You don't have to undo the seatbelt everytime as whilst it's 'over' the baby there's loads of room to slip the baby out without undoing it.

I don't think it's anywhere near as safe with a seatbelt as an isofix, with the seatbelt there's always some movement unlike with the isofix. I haven't ever used an easybase though, so have no idea how that compares, but I'd imagine somewhere between the two.

I would get the isofix put in both cars if it was me - it's not expensive.

kernewek79 Wed 27-Mar-13 21:47:32

Lagoonhaze

I am referring to the Which data. So, whilst I could link to it, unless you have a subscription it is pretty useless. Anyway the Cabrio in isofix get 5 star front impact and 4 star side impact, however, belt routed it still obtains a 5 star front crash rating but gains 2 stars for side impact. I think you would agree that is pretty poor. The Pebble gets the same scores although it gets 3 star for the side impact belt routed which is better but not up to the standard of the BeSafe or Cybex seats. Any way if you have a Which subscription it is all there.

TwelveLeggedWalk Wed 27-Mar-13 21:50:01

Do you not think you'll be moving the seats in and out if baby is sleeping? Or if you need to carry them one handed? Do you have a travel system? I spent a lot of time hiding sleeping babies in car seats in the porch!
We had family fix bases for out twins and I never regretted them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now