Note: This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQa> section. If you see buying and selling in this topic, please feel free to report it. Thanks, MNHQ.

Car seat for holidays

(9 Posts)
WannaSplitAPineapple Sun 17-Mar-13 10:44:07

I'm looking for a car seat for my 8 month old DS for when we go to America. He's only small for his age so it needs to be group 0 but I don't want to pay a lot as it will have to go in hold and I'm worried about it being damaged. Ideally if I could one to do group 0 plus it would do as a spare seat to go in nans car once I go back to work. Oh and I want a good safety rating. Any suggestions on where to begin looking? Or am I asking for the impossible by wanting it cheap yet good?

would it be compatible there though? Could you buy one while in America and then you could be sure it fits the car you will be using there

lenats31 Sun 17-Mar-13 14:58:06

Just to let you know that no European car seat can´t be legally used on US and Canadian roads. There is no excuse. Seats there are tested to meet a different standard.

Places like Wallmart have decent seats at a reasonable cost as I recall. If you know someone who can pick one up for you - say a Graco snugride or something.....

WannaSplitAPineapple Sun 17-Mar-13 19:40:24

We can't buy one over there as we'd need a seat to get to wallmart. I know you can use uk ones over there it's just a case of finding the right one. I suppose I'd have to find the right seat and then check it will be comparable. Thanks for your replies it gives me something to think about.

lenats31 Mon 18-Mar-13 18:29:04

""I know you can use uk ones over there it's just a case of finding the right one""

No, you don´t have that choice no matter which one you buy.

You can buy one overhere, use it on the US roads and hope the police don´t spot the non-FMVSS (US standard for car seats) approved car seat.

WannaSplitAPineapple Mon 18-Mar-13 22:30:09

Sorry your first post was confusing when you said no european car seat can't legally be used what would happen if I took a seat that was available both here and in America?

bubbles1231 Mon 18-Mar-13 22:36:40

We hired one with the hire car. As I recall, it was brand new.

lenats31 Tue 19-Mar-13 05:18:47

"what would happen if I took a seat that was available both here and in America?"

Sorry, my bad.

No seat is available here and in the USA.

You´ll be fined and they can confiscate it.

You could try what bubbles suggests

jteh Mon 13-May-13 18:29:43

I hire car seats to people visiting this country from abroad. I belong to the baby equipment hire association which has agreed terms and conditions. Maybe there is a reputable company that you could hire from in America? I did a quick google search and found a few, eg Babys Away
Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now