Note: This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQa> section. If you see buying and selling in this topic, please feel free to report it. Thanks, MNHQ.

Reusing a car seat

(5 Posts)
CruCru Sat 16-Mar-13 18:17:22

On another thread, someone said that a car seat put in storage can't be safely used again. Is this true?

We have an 18 mo and the 0+ car seat is on top of the wardrobe in the spare room. We are expecting another child in October and were going to use the old car seat.

Obviously, I would give it a good clean etc before shoving a newborn in it.

they have a shelf life of about 5 or 6 years so if it is younger than that then it will be fine to use. I re-used dd's car seat for ds and there are 3 years between them.

CruCru Sat 16-Mar-13 18:23:23

Thanks! It was fiendishly expensive so would break my heart to chuck it.

lagoonhaze Sat 16-Mar-13 18:28:19

I saw that thread too. There is concern about extreme temp change and the plastics but I think this is more for countries that actually suffer extremes.

Maxi cosi state 5 yrs yet britax state no expiry date as long as still in current refs 44.04.

Startail Sat 16-Mar-13 18:31:27

Also in a temp stable spare room is very different to being temp cycled in the back of a car and left parked in the sun. I'd be much more worried about a seat that had seen several years of use by a toddler and stayed in the car 24/7, than a baby seat.

My second stage seats were far more faded and battered after one toddler than the baby seat was after both of them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now