This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Britax First Plus for teeny 10kg 3yo- is he still ok to be rearfacing?

(11 Posts)
MiaowTheCat Sun 17-Mar-13 09:36:22

I just want a teeny 10kg kid! Want to swap for a great big galumphing 11 month old who's already nearly 10kg?! My back's starting to make noises like Scotty in Star Trek that it cannae take much more captain.

I found when we removed the insert they'd put the crotch buckle in at the wrong hole anyway so it didn't need fiddling with (hubby only half reading instructions as usual).

BertieBotts Sat 16-Mar-13 18:12:29

You need to be careful about the straps if he's average height. If his shoulders are more than about an inch higher than the top strap hole then he's too big for the seat - I suppose this is doubtful as it's intended to be used FF until 4 years too - but also the point about his head poking over the top. smile

lenats31 Sat 16-Mar-13 18:10:02

It´s safe for as long as top of head does not exceed top of seat or hits the 13 kg mark

itslate Tue 12-Mar-13 23:12:03

Yeah it's the bottom buckle that is awkward. There is a label on the buckle but usually it's tucked under the seat covers. It shows you how to lower it to the bottom level. Let us know how you get on? :D

TaffyandTeenyTaffy Tue 12-Mar-13 23:04:05

Thanks I think we have already removed the insert - but I am going to have to double check this to make sure. I know hubby has adjusted the shoulder straps but not sure about the bottom bit so will check this out too.

itslate Tue 12-Mar-13 22:51:36

Quick advice on the Britax First Class Plus. You can use it rearward up until your child is 13kg or until their head is poking out the top of the seat. Best to keep them rearward facing for as long as possible when they are young.

It's important that you refer to your instructions when it comes to this seat though. The padded insert is only suitable up until 8kg. So with your child being 10kg this should be removed. When you remove it you will have to adjust your buckle clip. I would suggest you read your instructions on this one.

The central buckle clip at the bottom of the seat in between your childs legs must be lowered down. It is set at the higher point because of the padded insert, when you remove the padded insert you need to put the buckle to it's lower point. Alot of people miss this bit out and it makes the seat unsafe.

TaffyandTeenyTaffy Tue 12-Mar-13 21:47:40

Thanks all, and thanks for the pics. Rearfacing it is.

lagoonhaze Tue 12-Mar-13 12:36:36

I would turn him back round too.

someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong but I think it is safe if their eye line is below the top of the seat. (it might be top of head but I'm pretty sure its eye line).

scrunched up legs is immaterial.

rear facing is always safer. at that weight I think I'd stick rear facing too.

My 3y3m old still rearfaces, albeit in a seat that will keep her rearfacing until she hits 25 kilos.

My understanding is that its always safer for small children to rearface.

I've stuck a few pics on my profile- taken close to a year ago though, of how she sits in her seat. She hasn't ever ff'ed in our car, and has never moaned about getting uncomfy. However, she does ff on the odd occasion I get a taxi with her, and you can guarantee each and every time, she starts whining about how her legs are uncomfy and getting heavy.

TaffyandTeenyTaffy Mon 11-Mar-13 20:36:18

We have the Britax First Plus - which says they are ok for rearfacing up to 13kg.

DS is just over 10kg at 3y2m old - he is teeny for his weight but about average height so he just seems really scrunched up, with his knees buckled up towards his chest when he is RF.

DH has switched his seat to front facing today and DS loved this - but I still have reservations as I wanted him to RF for as long as possible.

Anyone know if its safe for him to be scrunched up like this - or which is the safer option?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now