Note: This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQa> section. If you see buying and selling in this topic, please feel free to report it. Thanks, MNHQ.

Newborn carseat

(10 Posts)

Start of July I'll be needing a carseat for a newborn, as dc2 is on the way.

I've already got 2 ERF seats that I have every intention of still using for the 3 year old and dc2 when they are big enough. However, what I don't have is a newborn seat anymore.

I need:

Something that fits using a seatbelt as our car is 17 years old and doesn't have ISOFIX
And doesn't need a really long seatbelt to fit as the seatbelts in the back are stupidly short.
Will last a long time- Both dd, my OH and myself are tall, so this one will certainly be tall as well. DD had outgrown an infant carrier heightwise by 6 months
Ideally won't be a seat that fits using a base only
Not bothered at all about putting the seat on a pushchair frame or carrying the baby about in the seat. I won't be able to- I can't pick up anything heavy or carry any kind of bulky/uneven load.
Don't need the seat to go beyond 13kg as I have 2 seats that'll do 9-25 kilos.

Last time round we had a First Class, but its beyond a pain in the @rse to fit in the car as the seatbelt was only just long enough to fit.

TIA

WithASpider Fri 08-Mar-13 11:40:11

I think Mothercare's own range are good for shorter belts, and maybe britax too. You could also get a graco or similar that has a base you strap into the car, don't need a long seatbelt for them!

Britax baby safe are excelent.

We have 3! It is slightly taller than our friends maxi cosi infant seat so would be better for a taller baby. Our very small for his age almost 3 yr old still fits ours (still uses it in dhs pickup) but he is too tall for our friends seat mc seat.

It can be fitted with just a belt or you can get either a belted or isofix base for it.

AmandinePoulain Fri 08-Mar-13 21:06:55

I've got a Babysafe. We chose it because it's longer than a maxi cosi and dd1 was long. We had a Graco for her, whilst I like the Babysafe I think I preferred the Graco because the seat is easier to get in and out of the car. If you go for the Babysafe though I'd avoid the SHR model - we had to return 2 because the handle got stuck on them, I went for the more basic model after that.

We've got short belts in our camper, the Babysafe just about fits without the base but with it there's more than enough belt.

If you are expecting the baby to be long a combination seat may work better for you if you don't need to attach it to a pram or take it in and out of the car.

Well that was an interesting morning playing with car seats

Since we last brought a First Class, Britax have changed the design ever so slightly, so it doesn't fit in our car any more

The Britax belted base doesn't fit either, and the SHR 2 is a very very very tight squeeze to get it in, with a serious amount of faffing. I CBA with it every time I need to strap the baby in, as you'll need to release the seatbelt every time to get the baby in and out, due to the way the seatbelt fitted over the car seat

I wasn't impressed with how the Maxi-Cosi Cabrio fitted- it seemed to be very wobbly. And guess what, the belted base doesn't fit either.

Graco seat- same story as the SHR 2

A cheap Mothercare seat DID fit (think it was the Ziba), but it was tiny and there is no way on this planet it would actually last until the baby hits 13 kg- the baby's head would be well over the top before then

Ho hum.

Kroder1 Sat 09-Mar-13 14:12:24

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MegMogAndOwl Sat 09-Mar-13 14:41:27

I also had a nightmare trying to get a seat to fit in my old car with short seatbelts.

Here's some that didn't fit:
Maxi cosi opal
Britax first class
Joie tilt- I think that's what it's called, it's a group 0/1 in toys r us
Mamas and papas contra

I ended up with a mamas and papas primo viaggio, which fits if you also buy the belted base. It's quite heavy but if you're going to leave it in the car most of the time that probably doesn't matter. My dd has only just out grown it at 18 months but she's not overly tall, about 25th centile I think.

As she's not going to reach 13kg til she's nearly 3, I've now got a combination seat, this one. I was a bit worried as it wasn't a well known brand and I thought it might feel a bit cheap but it's actually quite sturdy in the car. Although it says its isofix it can be rear facing using a seatbelt til 13kg.

patchesmcp Sun 10-Mar-13 07:34:44

MegMogAndOwl just read the description of the one you linked to, and it says it can be used rf until 10kg not 13kg. Just thought you should know.

MegMogAndOwl Sun 10-Mar-13 08:45:10

That's strange I didn't notice that. I didn't buy it from that's website.

I've checked the instructions and on the seat itself it states rear facing til 13kg.

Must just be an error on that site.

KatAndKit Sat 16-Mar-13 15:59:01

Graco logico HP with belted base. Even if the belt is not long enough to go all round the seat it will certainly be long enough to go through the base. Easy to use, high score on Which, compatible with Graco travel system, bigger than the average infant seat so might last longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now