Note: This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQa> section. If you see buying and selling in this topic, please feel free to report it. Thanks, MNHQ.

Is it safe to use a secondhand isofix base?

(9 Posts)
NoTeaForMe Fri 25-Jan-13 11:00:14

I know you should never use a secondhand car seat but is it the same for the isofix base? Are they safe to buy on eBay and use?

Thanks

stargirl1701 Fri 25-Jan-13 11:02:24

I would not buy a second hand isofix on eBay.

NoTeaForMe Fri 25-Jan-13 11:37:37

Why is that startail is it unsafe or do you just feel it might be?

With the familyfix base it has green lights if it's fitted properly and red and beeps if it isn't. Surely if there was a problem the base would beep to say it wasn't fitted safely. I believe the easyfix also has the lights? Not 100% on that though!

NoTeaForMe Fri 25-Jan-13 11:38:34

Whoops! Clearly I mean stargirl not startail! Now sure where that came from, sorry!

lagoonhaze Fri 25-Jan-13 12:05:34

It the same as a second hand car seat you cant see the stresses or know if its been in an accident or damaged.

Mothercare price match them so worth hunting around.

Nurseryvalue who are dorel/maxi cosi outlet sell them under that name on ebay

Family fix is a bit of a con unless you want the forward facing seat for next stage which i wouldnt as rearfacing is 5 x safer. The belted version is on amazon for £55 and just as good. So is the easyfix version safe too.

Plus if the batteries ever run down in the familyfix it will never do lights again (read somewhere best research it to check- possible online manual)

NoTeaForMe Fri 25-Jan-13 12:28:02

Ok, thanks.

RooneyMara Fri 25-Jan-13 12:29:50

I bought one from ebay. I feel safe using it. But it's a matter of opinion.

NoTeaForMe Fri 25-Jan-13 12:39:43

The base or the carseat Rooney ?

RooneyMara Fri 25-Jan-13 13:06:15

The base. I think as it is such a solid thing, well, you never know but I met the woman selling it who was local, and thought she seemed very honest and had decent reasons for selling it.

It doesn't get used much as it only fits in my parents' car.
I'd be a bit more careful about the actual seat as they have breakable inserts, polystyrene can often break with normal use let alone in a collision.

Having had things like car seats delivered very poorly wrapped from online shops, though, I don't really worry too much about a bit of a knock - I always inspect the polystyrene bit, make sure any catches etc work properly - and try only to buy from people I feel I trust.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with this though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now