Note: This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQa> section. If you see buying and selling in this topic, please feel free to report it. Thanks, MNHQ.

Rear facing for how long? Britax first class plus?

(12 Posts)
NoRoomForMeInMyBed Wed 30-Jan-13 01:44:50

please warch

All you need to know about rearfacing in 2 mins flat.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 29-Jan-13 15:48:51

Rearfacing for as long as possible is safest, but in any case do not put a baby under 12 months in a forward-facing seat. Their spines are not strong enough. They have to be big enough and old enough before you can use FF. Whether they can sit isn't what matters - its what would happen in a whiplash type situation. Doesn't bear thinking about.

RugBugs Tue 29-Jan-13 15:44:22

Oohhh Gary has reminded me of what a pain it is in rear facing actually!
The seat belt goes across the seat so it's a real pita to get baby in/out from the side nearest the door. YY to the height as well, the number of times poor DD has bumped her head on the top of the door frame as I've bent down to put her in - this is not such a problem if you have a nice high car (I never do it in my Dad's quashai).

Not all rear seat belts are long enough either, the seat will not fit in a mitsubishi colt unless in the front passenger seat with it right back so rendering the seat behind it unuseable.

RugBugs Tue 29-Jan-13 15:38:35

We have the first class plus for our DD and it's served us well.
I think the safety issue is that there is the possibility of parents leaving their child rear facing beyond 13kg and the seat is not tested for that.

We could not get an extended rear facing seat in our very small car (well we could, but not me at the same time!) so getting the first class was a compromise.

GaryBuseysTeeth Tue 29-Jan-13 15:21:39

We have a First Class Plus for DS, he's a lanky boy (95th centile) & we waited until he was over a year (13 months) to have him forward facing...although I know what a pain in the arse the bulky first class is as a rear facing!
He looks 'cramped' when in a tshirt, jumper & jacket but we take his jacket off in the car now.

I wouldn't put him ff right now if I were you, the group 0 rearfacing go upto 12 months, so hold off as long as you can.

First Class Plus is a great seat, but it's very, very tall. We've got a Passat Saloon & the gap to get him through is tight & he's bumped his head a few times, like I mentioned it's bulky as a rearfacing, but once the seat is upright & forward facing it feels less bulky.
That said, we've got friends with 3 door cars (A3's & some nasty little Hyundai thing) & it's easy enough to get him in/out of them.
I would buy it again for the next baby we have.

Look at an Extended Rear Facing seat. I have a Britax 2way Elite which is for 9m-4yo rear facing. It is safer to keep them rear facing.

Also, he can stay in his infant seat till his head is at the top of the back of the seat.

maker Tue 29-Jan-13 15:11:46

Its total rubbish that combination seats aren't as safe as a Group 1 seat or any other seat. A combination seat still has to pass the same test as a Group1 seat, and meet the same regulations.

The downfall of some combination seats is that they use more seat belt for installation, so you should always check this out and easy they are to fit.

lagoonhaze Thu 24-Jan-13 21:03:33

Really would advise you not to move him up to forward facing whilst so young.

You say hes cramped do you take his coat off etc?

Copps Thu 24-Jan-13 15:46:32

any other ideas mummies? im really not sure if i should just put him in the M-C axiss, which i love! but of course this isnt rear facing at all...

lagoonhaze Sun 20-Jan-13 22:48:22

First class is fine til 13kg

Mothercare is partly right in that combination seats aren't as safe as just rearfacing seats.

However if the alternative is a forward facing seat then a combination seat is still better.

If you can stretch to £220 get a proper erf seat. Its worth the investment.

ValiumQueen Sun 20-Jan-13 16:28:22

Watching with interest. I think that car seat is ok to 14 kg. On phone so cannot check. I am considering getting one as DS is 7kg at 12 weeks and long with it.

Copps Sun 20-Jan-13 16:22:55

My son is really cramped and miserable in his group 0 car seat and i want to put him into something bigger. he is 8 months, sitting perfectly unaided and over 9kg, but i have been reading that it would still be safer to keep him rear facing. Is this true?

Someone in mothercare told us that a combination (0+) seat is not as safe as a group 1 as it is trying to do two jobs in one seat - thoughts on this?

And lastly, any reviews of the britax first class plus seat? thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now