Note: This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQa> section. If you see buying and selling in this topic, please feel free to report it. Thanks, MNHQ.

Argos BabyStart Sprinter Hatrix - thoughts?

(19 Posts)
GingerJulep Sun 30-Dec-12 18:15:43

So, we're pregnant with our first and looking at what we can get at a reasonable price. A car seat I'd definitely like to have new so it is on the list for sales shopping rather than e-bay!

Has anyone used a "Argos BabyStart Sprinter Hatrix"? The reviews on the Argos site seem pretty good although a couple mention it feeling not very padded (does that matter as baby will be so light?) and not reclining much (although it is supposed to be good from birth). Currently on sale :-)

I'd guess seat will be used twice/week (we walk most places) for round trips of just under an hour. We have (and will likely stick with) one elderly car so no isofix.

Is this a bargain or is it too good to be true?

Thanks!

lagoonhaze Sun 30-Dec-12 18:26:45

You get what you pay for. It will meet minimum basic standards. No Side impact protection and you are unlikely to get a good fit both rear and forward facing. You wont actually know if you have a good fit either as you arent aware of buckle crunch or belt issues.

I would spend extra and get a britax first class, concord ultimax or graco junior mini.

GingerJulep Sun 30-Dec-12 18:41:13

Do you really think the 'what you pay for' thing is true?

I see that garco and britax both appear in both the best and worst which buys with different models so was assuming that most of the differences were based on the individual designs rather than price/brand?

What do you mean about buckle crunch and belt issues? I've read the http://www.childcarseats.org.uk site but obviously won't be able to tell how anything fits in my car until I try (car large and old, not on those web-based lists of what fits what).

lagoonhaze Sun 30-Dec-12 19:06:18

I pay zero attention to which? reports as they focus too much on consumer friendliness than safey. Look at ncap reports instead.

Ive heard from posters on here that the cheap seats from asda, kiddicare and argos have suffered from stress marks after a short period of time which indicates the plastic is of poor quality and weak.

You really should go to an independant shop and see what fits your car. Older cars (esp french I have found) are prone to buckle crunch.

I think www.rearfacing.co.uk has an explanation

A one that clips into whatever pram / stroller you have is good. We had the Recaro profi plus which fits.onto the Maclaren Techno xlr.

Once she outgrew that we got the Britax 2way which keeps them rearfacing til 4.

lagoonhaze Sun 30-Dec-12 19:12:07

Also, go someplace that will not only check it fots your car but will show ypu how to correctlyinstall it (even if you end up buying the same seat elsewhere)

Just had a look at the one you mention in yor OP and I think that style of car seat looks so uncomfortable for a newborn. The little.infant carriers look so much comfier and to me, seem safer

lagoonhaze Sun 30-Dec-12 19:37:58

The infant carriers arent safer but that seat does look uncomfy because

1) lack of padding

2) They have put a tiny infant who is most likely not even 9kg forward facing

lagoonhaze Sun 30-Dec-12 19:38:46

sorry posted too soon

and you can see its not very snug looking.

Oh my goodness, I didn't even see that photo it looks awful - surely noweher near old or heavy enough.

Surely they aren't allowed to even show a photo like that shock

lagoonhaze Sun 30-Dec-12 19:51:56

My friend and myself have complained. Neither of us got a reply and she complained further on facebook. Its still there. A dangerous pic which gives a false representation. If I had the energy I would take it to trading standards.

GingerJulep Sun 30-Dec-12 20:35:13

Ooh, good tip about ncap, I'm browsing their site now - thanks!

GingerJulep Sun 30-Dec-12 20:36:13

Oh wow - lost more messages when I refreshed, the above was meant for lagoonhaze

GingerJulep Sun 30-Dec-12 20:38:32

Know what you mean about the picture - assumed the photographer did it that way because of the 'cuteness' factor :-( obviously it should be used rear facing for such a small one.

GingerJulep Sun 30-Dec-12 21:37:35

Read a little more on NCAP... it seems they don't actually test car seats at all, only specific car/car seat combinations :-( http://www.euroncap.com/Content-Web-Faq/6afc8edf-dd5e-4fed-bb86-e64577af2348/child-safety.aspx

lagoonhaze Sun 30-Dec-12 22:14:44

sorry I thought they did

This may help

www.rearfacing.co.uk/testresults.php

I realy would not buy this seat. It looks exactly like the Nania 0-4yrs seat which ive seen that in the 'flesh' and its awful! Realy flimsy and next to no padding so actualy quite uncomfortable. Also Argos state that it is 0-13kg rear facing but the Nania one is only up to 9kg rear facing so i would be a bit suspisios of a seat that looks exactly the same having different weight restrictions. Also there is not enough support for a very young baby so a newborn would be 'rattling around' in it especialy in the head area!
The Britax/Graco 0-4 seats have good padded inserts that provide nice snug protection in the early weeks/months.

I would take your car along to somwhere that fits seats and try a few out then you can always look online for a better deal. Or give the 'In Car Safety centre' a ring and ask their advice and if you are near Milton Keynes they worth a visit. They are realy helpful and knowledgable...... we went recently especialy to get our new seats from them and its 3hrs away from us!!

*suspicious not suspisios...... and especially!!hmm my spelling is crap tonightgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now