This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

How old does a child have to be to be safe in the front seat with an airbag?

(8 Posts)
SledsImOn Thu 13-Dec-12 09:29:17

I've just rung our dealership and they want £190 to fit a switch so that we can turn off the passenger airbag.

It'd be nice to be able to have the baby in the front, but tbh that's a lot of money and I'm wondering - is it safe for my 9yo to go in the passenger seat now?
If he could use that seat then I could put baby in the back seat.

I'm not sure where to find out though. Any help appreciated.

DowagersHump Thu 13-Dec-12 09:36:25

I think at that age it's fine. My feeling is that once they're in booster seats they're probably robust enough to take the airbag (although this is based on no evidence).

It's safer for children to be in the back rather than the passenger seat though

SledsImOn Thu 13-Dec-12 09:38:49

Thankyou, that's helpful smile

Ds1 does go in the front sometimes and I always felt a bit worried about it.

Car Seat Law for UK here

Your 9yo can go in the front seat with his booster seat (unless hes already 135cm which means he doesnt need a booster anymore!)

As long as their forward facing they should be okay in the correct restraint. DS1 has sat in the front from when he was in a booster seat.

RF seats are dangerous with air bags because they fire out quickly and can cause crush injuries etc...

Air bags are blessing and a curse IMO.

SledsImOn Thu 13-Dec-12 09:47:04

Thankyou very much - I didn't realise it was 135cm, he's not been using a booster blush I'll make sure he does from now on.

lagoonhaze Thu 13-Dec-12 11:07:26

Push him as far back as possible to mimimise risk of facial injuries if air bag deploys

PolterGoose Thu 13-Dec-12 19:11:31

For anyone who hasn't seen the aftermath of an airbag going off, can I just tell you that the force of an airbag cracked my ribs and bruised my face... It is quite brutal (better than hitting the steering wheel obviously)

Ideally children should be on a booster until they are 150cm, because that is the minimum height that car seatbelts are tested and safe for. Ideally they will be in a high back booster not one of those backless things...

Sleds, if you put him in the front make sure the seat is as far back as it can go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now