This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

keeping arms in the straps

(9 Posts)
sleeplessinderbyshire Fri 28-Sep-12 23:01:38

Help! My 11kg skinny 3 yr old daughter has worked out how to get her arms out of the straps of her besafe izi combi. She was howling today that the straps were too tight and hurting her shoulders (pulled as tight as they possibly could be and I think pulled as short aa they will go as she was only in a thin t shirt and leggings) and then mid tantrum as we were driving along with her howling her shoulder hurt and the straps were too tight, she got her arms free. Cue emergency stop and a sound telling off from me. Strapped her in again, not physically possible to get straps any shorter/tighter and she got an arm out again 5 mins later. More shouting and she apologised and said she wouldn't do it again but I am now worried. She goes in a kiddy guardian in DH's car so we could simple use that seat from now on but I feel she is safer in the besafe whilst she still fits in

bonzo77 Fri 28-Sep-12 23:12:03

DS did this once. He also undid the clip once. I pulled over, got out of the car and gave him the bollocking of his life. He's not done it since. He's 2.6 and a little Houdini, but knows better when in the car.

JollyToddler Fri 28-Sep-12 23:15:22

I shouted at Ds. Loudly. He cried lots as he'd never really been shouted at before. He hasn't done it since. But mine is a little younger than yours. At 3 you could probably talk about serious injury in a way she would understand.

Toddler did this to me as well. OH pulled over and I let rip.

She knows that if she does something wrong she will be told NO and she really doesn't like it, so I told her that if she ever tries it again I will shout loudly and tell her lots of NO

Would she understand in a toddler sense that the straps keep her safe and stop her from getting hurt, and that if she undid them, she could get hurt?

SlimJimBra Thu 04-Oct-12 19:30:10

Besafe do an extra clip thingy for this - we have one for ds. I'll find it and link

SlimJimBra Thu 04-Oct-12 19:32:34
LotsofDots Tue 27-Nov-12 15:44:22

Has anyone tried one of these belt guards? my just 2 year old is a nightmare Houdini child, and gets her arms out the belts of our maxicosi priorifix on an almost daily basis. Rationalising does not work!

SuzysZoo Tue 04-Dec-12 22:51:02

I used Houdini-Stop and it was good!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 04-Dec-12 22:53:34

Was just about to recommend the Houdini Stop but I see Suzys beat me to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now