This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Any Rearfacing Recommendations to keep a 4 yr old rear facing, who is growing out of his besafe?

(28 Posts)
Carseatcrazy Fri 17-Aug-12 22:26:21

Maybe I'm being obsessed!!! But if there is an option to keep DS1 rearfacing for longer, I'd take it! I'm looking into the TWE but am not convinced that it would give us that much longer (in terms of height) than his current Besafe Combi.....

I've also seen some of the new seats such as the Britax max way and some of the azkid ones that all go up to 25kg, but again, does anyone have any experience / suggestions as to how much additional time these seats could realistically give us on the Besafe?

We drive a ford focus (55) plate, and I'm 6 foot and often need to be in front of him in the passenger seat (DS2 is in his KISS behind driving seat)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ;) xx

frazzledbutcalm Fri 17-Aug-12 22:42:43

Hi, I may be behind the times, but why do you want to keep him rearfacing?

lagoonhaze Sat 18-Aug-12 12:55:16

Because it is five times safer.

Have a look at carseat.se

there is a comparsion of heights on there somewhere or email hakan

Machadaynu Sat 18-Aug-12 13:18:12

<dons flak jacket>

It's only five times safer if you crash, which is a remote possibility if you are competent driver. There are risks in everything though.

Being front-facing - and in the front from ages 1 to 2 when we had a car with an airbag you could turn off - means that car journeys are an opportunity to chat about what you can see. You can't do that if one of you is looking the other way. The kid (now 37 months) is always asking questions, so she now knows amongst other things about gears, what the pedals do, what the indicators are for and how to use them, what almost every road in our area is called, the make of every car we ever see and all the bus numbers and routes. She has a pretty good grasp of geography because she will tell you how to get to places from other places using the correct road names.

I don't suppose she'd have done any of that if all she could see from her car seat was the back of the seat , the car's spoiler and the rear wiper.

I would think that at 4 being rear facing is going to get uncomfortable unless you have a monstrously big car, in which case don't worry, your LO is probably more than five times safer than ours already as we troll her around in a small/medium (Golf size) car that is 11 years old. She has to sit in the middle of the back seat to have enough leg room to be comfortable when she is forward facing, and even so she sometimes grumbles about it. I cannot imagine being rear facing would be comfortable at all - and if it is now I can't imagine it remaining so.

So, in true keyboard-warrior 'I know nothing about you or your circumstances but your choices don't suit me or mine' mode - get a forward facing seat smile

hellymelly Sat 18-Aug-12 13:22:55

My two dds are still rf in the britax two way. They are 7 and 5. My 7 year old is just at the top end of her seat now and we need to go ff now. She is light for her age , although tallish, so that has allowed her to be in it longer, and she seems comfortable enough still.

hellymelly Sat 18-Aug-12 13:23:22

Oh, and we have a Volvo estate.

Machadaynu Sat 18-Aug-12 13:24:47

" Oh, and we have a Volvo estate. "

A monstrously big car, then? smile

frazzledbutcalm Sat 18-Aug-12 23:26:41

I just can't imagine any child being comfortable rear facing at that age ... it just seems completely alien, like treating young children as babies ...

This is not a front facing, rear facing debate. The OP has her preference and has asked for assistance to make it happen. There's no need to attack her choices. You have no idea what her particular circumstances are or what research she has done.

frazzledbutcalm Sat 18-Aug-12 23:42:43

Not attacking her choices at all..All threads have opinions, that's all these are ..

hellymelly Sun 19-Aug-12 00:07:56

is a Volvo MONSTROUSLY big? Blimey. I just thought it would be helpful to know.

hellymelly Sun 19-Aug-12 00:10:50

Mine are comfortable, they have never complained other than on really long journeys when I think they would feel the same whatever way they were facing. I don't think its treating them like babies, I think its treating them like humans whose heads are still large in proportion to their bodies.
In fact we would all be safer rear facing (except the driver grin)

frazzledbutcalm Sun 19-Aug-12 11:32:22

helly - some drivers mite fare better rear facing because they sure can arse it up facing the right way grin

Carseatcrazy Sun 19-Aug-12 21:54:29

Thanks jollyhickystick - yep def done my research and def not a debate on front vs rear - my 4 yr old loves his rearfacing seat - has full 360 degree vision (tells me what is approaching from the front or back using his mirror) and can give you a full explanation of the reason why rearfacing seats are so much safer! I have given him the opyion of what he would like to do for his next seat and he himself has said he would like to stay facing "the doggies" in the boot because it would "hurt his neck less if we ever hit another car" Our car isn't huge (ford focus) and his legs are v comfy (as he tells me himself!) so no -not treating him as a baby, but as a very intelligent young man who is actually making his own informed choice based in his own comfort, experience and knowledge!

But back to my opening question- any recommendations / opinions about those 3 or 4 new seats that go up to 25kg?....smile

Carseatcrazy Sun 19-Aug-12 21:59:45

Helly- thanks for your suggestion- I tried him in a twe at my friends yesterday and he didn't look like he had that much more height than he currently does in his besafe- so I'm not convinced how much extra time that would give us?.... Does anyone have any experience of the new azkids or the new britax maxway? Are they similar in height to the twe and besafe?.... ;)

AuntPepita Sun 19-Aug-12 22:04:24

No advice but we are also looking at the MaxWay or Multitech 2 for 4 yr old DD to take her up to 25kg and put DS (15mo) into the Besafe. The MaxWay is the only seat other than the Besafe to have passed the Swedish Plus test.

Have a look in his red book for growth charts, should give you an idea of when he will reach 25kg.

leeloo1 Sun 19-Aug-12 22:27:06

Maybe contact the incarsafetycentre in Milton Keynes, as they're hugely knowledgeable, very helpful and can answer most questions as they're so used to fitting car seats in different cars.

As soon as I told them I had a tiny 3-door Yaris, they immediately recommended the twe... that was 3 yrs ago and my tall-for-his-age, almost 4 year old (who has never complained yet about uncomfy legs or being rear-facing) is nearing the top of it - although depending on how you angle the seat/the passenger seat it fits against you can gain a small amount of headroom.

the 2-way elite is a bit taller than the besafe (we have both)

but you know he's ok til his eyes are level with the back??

i have found as well that actually the seats last longer than you think. they get to a point where their increase in height is all LEG! and not torso. DS2 has got a lot taller since last year, but his head is really not very much higher on the back of his car seat if you see what I mean?

hellymelly Mon 20-Aug-12 00:08:37

if it helps my eldest child is 128 cm and my younger about 112, the oldest will be getting a new seat soon, but the younger one (5y 3m) has plenty of room still in the 2-way. They are light though.

the back of the seat is approx 59cm in the 2-way elite, can't measure teh besafe right now as dp has it in the car!

silverfrog Mon 20-Aug-12 09:49:58

dd2 is 5.6 and is still happily in a TWE. she is slightly built, but average height, and she still has quite a while to go height-wise in the TWE.

we have just changed her out of her BeSafe Kid in dh's car, and she has got a ff hbb. she was very excited to finally have the same seat as dd1 (not that sge was ever bothered by being rf - we changed hr seat mostly due to logistics and seat layout in dh's car - she could have stayed in the BESafe for a bit longer).

it took about(strike one against the ff seat); another couple of minutes before she realised she couldn't stash her toys as comfortably and securely (strike two), and by the end of the (30 minute) car jurney she also had had an uncomfortable (comparatively) sleep (strike three).

so, from the verdict of a user of these products - rf is much more comfortable.

OP - agree with a previous postr who said that increase in height tends to be all leg for a bit. I remember getting the BeSafe Kid when dd2 was 18 months, and dh and I thought that no way wouldshe be in it past about 3.5ish, as it didn't look big enough. but 4 years later she still fits - albeit she wouldn't for much longer. but she has plenty of growth room in her TWE - n fact she will move out of that before she has outgrown it, probably, when ds needs to move into it when he is out of his infant carrier (a while yet, a he is only 4 weeks! grin)

lagoonhaze Mon 20-Aug-12 21:30:53

Im buying the axkid but have never seen the TWE so cant comment on size comparasion Im afraid,

Carseatcrazy Tue 21-Aug-12 20:40:19

Thanks all - that is really helpfulsmile it makes me think I may have longer than I feared. I also tried him in his little brothers KISS yesterday and bizarrely even though it is narrower at the shoulder he seems to have a good 3-4 inches more height in that than the besafe- so when he gets to the limit in his besafe we may just swap them over for a while and see how long we can keep him going in the kiss;). Thank u all smilesmile fingers crossed it may be a while longer till I'm back hunting for our next seat - but if anyone has any recommendations later on please do shout smile (although I think much less urgent than I first though!) x

Kirlyp Thu 23-Aug-12 23:12:49

Axkid !!!!!!!!!! my tall little one (108cm at age 4) outgrew the Besafe before this 4th Birthday and is now happy sat in his Axkid Kidzone ... and its takes up less space than the Besafe so I have a happy tall hubbie too !

BeSafeUKService Fri 24-Aug-12 15:20:49

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now