This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Maxi-Cosi Car Seat Repair?

(12 Posts)
MummyHayli Thu 12-Apr-12 19:27:12

Hi Guys,

I'm new to Mumsnet and Would really appreciate some advice
If possible please?

I have a 17 month old little girl and in July last year I bought her the Maxi-Cosi Priori XP from Halfords. Two days ago the reclining mechanism broke and the seat now moves freely from sitting to reclined position.

I have taken it back to Halfords with my receipt and requested a
Replacement seat and just feel like I am hitting a brick wall now sad

They have offered to send the seat to be repaired but I am not comfortable with my daughter being in a repaired seat. I don't feel it would be safe enough in the event of an accident. After being "repaired" they are inspected and checked but NOT crash tested. Halfords & Maxi-Cosi/Durel are both refusing point blank to replace the seat with a like for like one. Halfords
Claim that they cannot replace it without permission from Durel (which I find hard to believe!) I know that the sale of goods act says mycontract is with Halfords but do I have the right to refuse a repair and request a replacement?

Thank u in anticipation guys x

lagoonhaze Thu 12-Apr-12 20:49:31

I would speak to consumer direct (who whoever they are thesedays)
I would also write all over Dorels and halfords facebook walls as they hate bad pubicility - do you want links?

I wouldnt be happy with a repair either as I wouldnt have confidence in the repair. I would actually be pushing for a refund as you need a replacement seat immediately.

I would also never buy from maxi cosi again and would buy an extended rear facing like a britax two way elite. Five times safer and seats are only a little more expensive.

lagoonhaze Thu 12-Apr-12 20:51:16

http://www.facebook.com/#!/doreluk.customerservice

http://www.facebook.com/#!/HalfordsUK

lagoonhaze Thu 12-Apr-12 20:51:34
lagoonhaze Thu 12-Apr-12 21:27:54
MummyHayli Thu 12-Apr-12 21:48:09

Thank you so much for your reply! I'll try the Facebook thing as I have warned them I intend to make it as public as possible. I can't believe they are not falling over themselves to give me a replacement.

And thanks or the advice on the Britax, I'm really torn as to what to buy her now so will have a look ASAP x

MummyHayli Thu 12-Apr-12 21:50:17

And I agree 100%! Won't be purchasing Maxi-Cosi again! X

januaryjojo Fri 13-Apr-12 14:03:21

I'd say it's more halford than Dorel tbh.

I had a MC Tobi, something went screwy with the recline on that, it wouldn't shift at all.

Difference is I got mine from Boots, spoke to them on phone first, said to take it back with delivery note, straight refund, no hassle, and mine was 18 months old, the seat that is.

Also before the seat went screwy, on the popper pulled through on the chest pads, spoke to Dorel, they sent a whole new seat cover set for free.

lagoonhaze Fri 13-Apr-12 14:59:02

Dorel have commented on a two year old post today ..... Odd.

Looking at their Facebook Page you aren't alone!

MummyHayli Fri 13-Apr-12 18:07:41

Thanks guys, I've been back to Halfords today (third time lucky) and they replaced the seat for me. Would have saved me a lot of hassle and stress if they had done it in the first place but just shows that not giving in pays off. So just for future reference if anyone has any issues with them repairing a car seat you are within your rights to refuse a repair and demand a replacement.

Thanks again smile xx

lagoonhaze Fri 13-Apr-12 18:23:56

Brilliant! Glad you got it sorted.

StephenDresty Sat 21-Sep-13 08:23:12

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now