Suitable tent for 2 adults and 3 young children on a budget.

(9 Posts)
Maybee Thu 17-Jun-10 21:08:39

Hi,
This good weather is tempting us into camping as a family. It just seems like a cheap way of travelling in the spring/summer. I camped loads before all the kids came along but wondered what are the best tents for families nowadays. I prefer easy pitch tents but don't want to spend a fortune in case it isn't for us yet. our kids are 9 months, 2 and 7.
Tips anyone?

ClareV Thu 17-Jun-10 21:17:18

We've just bought a Vango Icarus 600 for our similarly aged family (8 months, almost 3 and 6). Not been away in it yet, but impressed when we put it up in the garden.
You can buy a canopy to give more sheltered space - you could skip this to start with and add it later if you find you like camping.

helyg Thu 17-Jun-10 21:22:17

We are a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children aged 4, 6 and nearly 8) and we fit into an ordinary 4 man tent similar to this

We have one room for us and one for the kids, and we eat etc in the middle.

We do only tend to do weekend trips though, we might need a bigger tent for a fortnight!

Kbear Thu 17-Jun-10 21:25:21

My advice would be buy big, even if your kids are small, buy big but easy to put up. When it is lashing with rain you will be pleased you're not all crammed in a space four foot square. If there are five of you buy an 8 berth tent.

I have a tunnel tent, loads of room. Steer clear of tents you can't stand up in.

Buy one on ebay or in Argos to start with and work up. We got a tent called Nevada in Argos and it was great. Then we bought a bigger one on ebay but same shape.

2to3 Thu 17-Jun-10 21:30:19

one http://www.somersetcamping.co.uk/products/khyam-ontario-8-xc-tunnel-tent-new-2010-model-unbeatable-p rice/358/?source=froogle&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=comparison_shopping_feeds&utm_nooverride=1 is FAB - very reasonably priced, excellent quality, easy to put up, weatherproof... we slept very comfortably in it with 3 kids and even invited the neighbours over for some wine when the weather was rubbish. Check out the tent reviews on ukcampsite.co.uk - they give you a good indication of which camping products are good and what's not.

2to3 Thu 17-Jun-10 21:30:58

one http://www.somersetcamping.co.uk/products/khyam-ontario-8-xc-tunnel-tent-new-2010-model-unbeatable-p rice/358/?source=froogle&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=comparison_shopping_feeds&utm_nooverride=1 is FAB - very reasonably priced, excellent quality, easy to put up, weatherproof... we slept very comfortably in it with 3 kids and even invited the neighbours over for some wine when the weather was rubbish. Check out the tent reviews on ukcampsite.co.uk - they give you a good indication of which camping products are good and what's not.

Maybee Fri 18-Jun-10 12:29:57

Thanks for all the tips. Anyone know much about the Quecha? I've heard its easy to put up but can you get big 6-8 man quechas? I'm hoping to drag dh to a tent shop this weekend for a good browse.

2to3 Fri 18-Jun-10 15:06:19

Sorry - no idea what happened with my post before... It's the Khyam Ontario 8 I was trying to show you.

helyg, if you are still out there... we also have that tent, not used it yet(!). Gets its first outing tomorrow. Is it straightforward to put up? We are 2 adults and 2 small DC's, so hoping it should be suitably comfy?!?!?!?

thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now