How do I clean damp/mouldy patches in my tent?

(4 Posts)
gibba8 Mon 15-Jun-09 20:06:36

Used my new Outwell Montana 6 for the first time last year and it poured torrentially on the day we took it down. Brought it home and snapped a pole trying to put it up again to dry it out so it obviously did not dry out properly and we foolishly packed it away thinking it would be ok!!

Went away at the weekend and when we opened the bag the smell of damp was overpowering and every single seam in the tent is mouldy and stained.

Does anyone know of the best way to clean/remove this mould and will my lovely tent ever be smell/mould free again?

cookielove Mon 15-Jun-09 20:09:46

i would start out with hot soapy water and a good scrubber, and see how much you can get off with that then move onto a disinfectant spray, if that wasn't enough, i would also air it out, hang in on the washing line if you've got one

Have googled and found these suggestions

To get rid of mould and mildew, make a 5% solution of hydrogen peroxide. (That's 125ml in 5 litres of water.) Sponge the solution onto the mould and rinse / hose it off; don't soak it. When the mould is history, you can wash the tent as normal.

Vinegar will kill mold on the surface and you need to get into the material with a brush. After the mold is cleaned and dead you should inspect the area for damage.
Normal washing and let dry while standing. I have done a few this way. Cotton parts are probably destroyed but nylon, Gore-Tex, etc. should be OK.

* A mouldy tent can be given a new lease of life by making a solution of bleach and water (1:20) in a spray bottle. Wearing old clothes, goggles and gloves, spray on to the affected areas and leave for 10 minutes. Rinse well with a garden hose and dry thoroughly.

This whole thread should be of use

Good luck.

cookielove Mon 15-Jun-09 21:22:33

ok so just ignore all i said and listen to wherethewildthingswere

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now