Poncetastic things when camping

(60 Posts)
S1ur Fri 01-Aug-08 23:59:39

Would taking courgettes and thyme be a step too far??

grin

Oooh

Mighty loud beeping on my ponce-ometer

grin

<<high fives slur>>

wrinklytum Sat 02-Aug-08 00:02:35

Sound yummy.Fry in butter on your camping stove.Add black pepper and a few sprigs thyme.Or you could make ratatouille if you add some tinned tom,garlic and stuff.

S1ur Sat 02-Aug-08 00:02:56

grin Boys

So I'm thinking we frown on aubergine then?

gigglewitch Sat 02-Aug-08 00:02:59

depends what you are going to do with them
wink

S1ur Sat 02-Aug-08 00:06:39

lol Giggle, I am biased have just been camping and spent a few moments judging assessing campers from mn pov.

For instance.

Camping - The one place where wandering around in your jimjams outside in da hood is acceptable.

But apparently wearing heels is not wise.

gigglewitch Sat 02-Aug-08 00:07:10

grin pmsl @ BALD

Did you pee in the hedge behind the tent?

At night, obv grin

[hardened camper pre-DCs]

S1ur Sat 02-Aug-08 00:08:35

<sigh> yy the aubergine was a step too far non? I felt the eyes of judgement upon me, I wanted to yell but look at sensible walking shoes I have don't judge me!

But instead I jutted my chin and played with my thyme

gigglewitch Sat 02-Aug-08 00:10:02

watching campers from MN p.o.v - intriguing, pray tell more!

S1ur Sat 02-Aug-08 00:10:52

surely the pissing in a bush is a requirement as part of regulatory joke akin to bears and woods or popes and catholism...

Do campers wee in bushes?

No, of course not they use prescribed faciities at all hours in all weathers.

har har at sensible shoes

yes, what else did you observe?

<<leans forward conspiratorially>>

gigglewitch Sat 02-Aug-08 00:13:07

<<paranoid>>

GW why are you you paranoid?

C'mon Slur, dish that dirt

grin

S1ur Sat 02-Aug-08 00:19:11

Camping is funny.

It is lifestyles on display and also amusing priorites yes?

So great combo. grin

We had 4 different neighbours while we stayed. The quiet ones, the walkers, the families.

We saw only one lot with a portable tv, everyone had lurverly big portable armchairs, a thankfully stylefree styleless zone where only the teens had straightened hair.

S1ur Sat 02-Aug-08 00:21:09

oooh dirt, I'm sure any we saw was tame. I suspect (and hope) that others will dish faaar better.

But in the bathroom I did find... eyelash curlers

Roffling at the teens with their straightened hair.

Did I ever tell the story of camping on the Gower years ago ??

When the toilet fell off the wall and I was chased by someone else's massive turd out of the toilet block??

grin

eyelash curlers

shock

gigglewitch Sat 02-Aug-08 00:27:40

pmsl #2 at BALD.
and paranoid cos i didn't know all those smug folk sitting in the hooooge folding armchairs next to the tents were spying on us grin

i dont think courgettes and thyme are ponceysmile
my MIL purposefully went out and bought a george forman fat buster grill thing as she wanted to cook peppers and chicken to put on her salad at lunchsmile i thought that was a teeny bit poncey grin i myself was happy with
beans and sausage on toastgrin cooked on the good old camping stove obvsmile
xx ei xx

S1ur Sat 02-Aug-08 00:30:07

yy be paranoid giggle grin If you've ever thought to look in someone's shopping basket while shopping just think what they thought of your bed hair shock and double shock your in tent conversations that you thought were private

gigglewitch Sat 02-Aug-08 00:31:15

I have an er, um, acquaintance (can't call her friend) <shallow> who turned up on a field with no facilities with her hairdryer hmm and wanted to pitch her tent at the bottom of the hill shock. It rained and the said tent became a boat. Possibly her last camping trip?

grin

Troutpout Sat 02-Aug-08 10:36:24

The 'loud parenting' brigade.. The ones who ponce off reporting every event in their childrens life.
They are 10 times worse in a field.

Fennel Sun 03-Aug-08 20:44:52

I've just been at a poncetastic campsite. The farm shop only had organic produce from the farm. No tins, soap, matches, nothing useful. Just organic meat and milk and wine at £10 a bottle. And organic courgettes and thyme.

I was reading my children wholesome classic bedtime stories but was outclassed in literary terms by the woman in the next door tent reading unabridged Shakespeare to her 8 and 6 year olds. grin

ivykaty44 Sun 03-Aug-08 22:24:05

Shakespeare is all sex and violence - name a shakespeare play that doesn't have some type of violence or cross dressing or chasing woman - disgusting to be reading this to 6-8 year old innocents shock whatever next

Troutpout Mon 04-Aug-08 14:30:32

<<snort>> at Shakespeare
That is poncetastic

SammyK Mon 04-Aug-08 14:37:32

We watched our fellow campers in amusement this weekend all pile into their SUV, drive to our end of the field and pop into the toilet block, then drive back to their tent - it was less than a mile walk. hmm grin

Also a family with a tent the size of our house for 3 people.

I agree about shakespeare ivykaty44.

We are the unwashed family I think - we displayed bad hair whilst our kids dug in te muddy field with wooden spoons and bomb dived into the lake. grin

Our recent camping neighbours has full sky tv satellite dish and big widescreen tv shock They only stayed for 3 days

Troutpout Mon 04-Aug-08 14:51:06

Tilly..that is not poncetastic.. just vulgar
wink

pootleflump Mon 04-Aug-08 14:56:14

Surely there's no need for weeing in bushes in these days of the fantastic SheWee. If you don't have one- get one! SheWee

Its mad isn't it ? - it was gorgeous weather and they barely came out of their camper van

I always take proper wine glasses with me though - doesn't taste as good out of plastic ones blush

ivykaty44 Mon 04-Aug-08 15:02:27

oh goodness I take a cafettere, really ground coffee, dartington crystal wine glasses. No tv, no laptop and this time no mobile phone either - bliss to not have any electric gadgets bleeping (dont have sky at home evenblush.

Plenty of cheap wine from spain though wink

Where did you go tilly? We just came back from new forest and it took 10 mins to get from one end of the campsite to the other - we biked though.

We were up in Scotland - just outside Aviemore. Twas lovely - except for the farkin midges angry

ivykaty44 Mon 04-Aug-08 15:15:48

oh we had midges to if it makes you feel better and we were in the forset - lots of bites all over my legs sad

Lots of lovely bike rides though and paddling in streams smile In amoungst drinking wine and real coffee wink

sallystrawberry Mon 04-Aug-08 15:16:02

M&S seafood platter

real wine glasses (when I rememeber)

I cooked singapore noodles with king prawns in a wok last thurs night, I even took ginger, rice vermacelli, toasted sesame oil and soy sauce but I regretted chopping up the chilli when I forgot and rubbed my eye hmm

ivykaty44 Mon 04-Aug-08 15:19:12

We had friends stop by on saturday eve (they had a day trip to the coast) and got fish and chips - the only vinegar I could find was balsamic, is that poncey enough. Tastes really good with chips smile

sallystrawberry Mon 04-Aug-08 15:19:27

my sis took the real coffee and the cafetiere

feetheart Mon 04-Aug-08 15:50:42

Last campimg trip DH bought a whole (free range) chicken, boned it, made casserole for 8, barbequed the boney bits (wings, etc!) then made stock and soup with the carcass shock I was in awe!!!!

Camping with satellite and wide screen is NOT camping!

sallystrawberry Mon 04-Aug-08 16:16:46

my bil has a COB bbq, he often buys and roasts whole chickens, the outside stays cool so it can be used indoors, he cooked our chicken in in the other night as it was tipping down and we couldn't use a normal bbq, I used the wok from it for my noodles grin

sallystrawberry Mon 04-Aug-08 16:17:39

am impressed by the boning feetheart

rookiemater Mon 04-Aug-08 16:21:00

I saw a family this weekend with a chemical flushing toilet and their own special toilet sized tent. I hate going to pee in the middle of the night so I was very impressed by this.

sallystrawberry Mon 04-Aug-08 16:26:29

my sis has one (I lurve camping with my sis and bil wink) I have a bucket with a lid hmm

rookiemater Mon 04-Aug-08 16:30:02

Ah well, after a less than successful camping weekend with DH and DS this weekend, DH has conceeded that I will get my bucket. It could be sometime before we build up to a proper loo. Sally your sis and bil sound fab,

sallystrawberry Mon 04-Aug-08 16:30:22

I have a shower that take batteries or you can plug into the car <<excited>> wink

my sis doesn't have a special tent for her loo, it sits in the corner of her tent (which I'm sure you've guessed is huge wink) although I did notice that even with the special flushing liquid, the tent did have a strange fug abut it when the weather warmed up, although I could brave the fug rather than trying to perch on my bucket after a few to many glasses of wine in the dark.

Cappuccino Mon 04-Aug-08 16:43:34

we saw a big ole winnebago with a massive widescreen tv mounted into the side of the outside of the van

you lifted a flap, arranged your chairs around, and watched

feetheart Mon 04-Aug-08 16:49:10

Now that is cool, you can entertain the whole campsite smile

sallystrawberry Mon 04-Aug-08 16:53:13

dh would be edging his chair nearer and nearer to them if he saw that grin

Cappuccino Mon 04-Aug-08 16:55:57

they were so blase that they weren't even watching it

they were sitting round their iron brazier drinking wine out of real glass glasses

Skramble Mon 04-Aug-08 19:39:18

I have a 3foot long mirror, hairdryer and straightners in my campervan. grin.

MrsBates Tue 05-Aug-08 08:49:09

I was in Spain camping once and other campers included German family who brought a plastic white picket fance and astroturf. Then sat in their little compound all day watching telly. Now that was worth driving across Europe for.

swiftyknickers Tue 05-Aug-08 10:10:56

oooooh have just come back from camping in dorset-pissed down but was muchos fun-first camping trip with Little swift who is 3- was aamzed by women blow drying their hair and straightening it-so weird-also how sophisticated camping has become-am defo taking the cafetiere next time and real wine glasses a la 'glamping'

BadZelda Tue 05-Aug-08 14:23:02

I always take real coffee and a little espresso pot....even if I'm staying in a hotel. Apart from that we're not much more sophisticated than an air mattress, though we are working up to a tent we can stand up in!

deedledum Tue 05-Aug-08 17:07:16

we are just back from a month camping in france & switzerland and almost every one of our fellow european campers had proper coffee on the go, it smelt lovely. We slummed it with plastic wine glasses and beer from the bottle, but it always tastes better outdoors anyway grin

Redfern Tue 05-Aug-08 22:00:22

Swiftyknickers - did you manage to keep dry? we're due to be camping in mid-wales this weekend and am steeling myself for damp everything for the whole weekend... might be easier just to admit defeat and start off by rolling around in the mud... which the DCs will do anyway!

Redfern Tue 05-Aug-08 22:00:39

Swiftyknickers - did you manage to keep dry? we're due to be camping in mid-wales this weekend and am steeling myself for damp everything for the whole weekend... might be easier just to admit defeat and start off by rolling around in the mud... which the DCs will do anyway!

Redfern Tue 05-Aug-08 22:00:52

Redfern Tue 05-Aug-08 22:02:01

oops sorry blush got carried away there!

chefswife Thu 07-Aug-08 06:02:03

i grew up spending my entire 2 month summer holidays at the trailer. we had an outhouse, no fancy toilet and only cold running water. and never ever had glass dishes. you never take glass with you camping. my mom became very creative cooking with the bbq though. she bake a cake.
DH and i do have a camping espresso maker for the fire pit with little tin cups. but when we go camping, it's very rustic but we would take 'poncey' foods but maybe that's because he's a chef.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now