When you go camping for a few days....do you take a fridge? Where do i get one?

(21 Posts)
Nixz Thu 21-Jun-07 22:27:11

(That doesnt cost a load of cash!)
Or are there any alternatives to a fridge?

feetheart Netherlands Thu 21-Jun-07 22:31:35

Bog standard cool box and freezer blocks (with a bit we adapted to stick supermarket ice-cubes in when there isn't anywhere to re-freeze blocks)

Not sure if that helps!!

Peachy Thu 21-Jun-07 22:34:29

we don't have one

coleman do 5 day cool boxes that are perfectly acceptable, and woudl be a great alternative.

The majority of sites will freeze blocks (so take spares), some charge but others are free- In know of at least one where there si a dedicated freezer just placed near the washing facillities.

Troutpout Thu 21-Jun-07 22:37:25

Cool box and blocks works fine and are fairly cheap....quite a lot of sites have freezers for you to use.

Nixz Thu 21-Jun-07 22:39:13

Peachy what a great idea - something i never thought of - refreeze blocks! I have seen 'freezers' advertised on some sites.
I will look at the 5 day coleman coolbox - does it actually work?

Nixz Thu 21-Jun-07 22:45:41

Peachy - do you know where i could get one of these 5 day cool boxes?
I know Coleman products can be quite pricey, i would still like to have a look at one!

Peachy Thu 21-Jun-07 22:52:12

have a look at the coleman 7o qt one further down, if you take into account the cost of EHU plus higher pitch charges to runa fridge £44 isn't bad

they ahve them in my local store, not small but really, really solid

wrinklytum Thu 21-Jun-07 22:56:04

Haven't camped for years (sadly) but when went as dc parents used to take a coolbox.We lived on a lot of salads/tinned stuff/fresh bread/cheese and veg(twas in France).It was fun!!

bilblio Thu 21-Jun-07 22:56:20

We just use a cool bag with cool blocks, food that we need for the first day goes in the bag normally, anything that we'll need for the 2nd day onwards we freeze before putting in the bag.

Aefondkiss Thu 21-Jun-07 23:00:04

we use a big cool box and put ice in it, stays frozen for ages(can't quite think how long sorry) and even better according to my dh is polysyrene box with ice in it

Nixz Thu 21-Jun-07 23:10:05

Tbh, after lots of thinking whilst writing this thread I have realised a few things.
First - 5 day cool boxes are an outstanding invention but really bloody huge! DD has to take 17 pairs of shoes with her and there just isnt enough room for a coolbox - obviously!
Second - I have learned that freezing things will make the freezer blocks last a bit longer and will last out until day two (thanks bilblio )
Third - Tins of beans and sausage (omg!) can always replace my local butchers sausages for one day!
Fourth - This is why that supernoodles were invented!
Fifth - Campsites refreeze blocks! Woohoo
And finally, DP has lived 'off the land' for nearly his whole adult life and is looking at me in total horror (As houmas doesnt taste so good when it isnt chilled!)at my suggestion of taking this with us!
Im not going to get a fridge, I'm going to take DP's generator so i can plug my hairdryer into it!
Sorted!

Nixz Thu 21-Jun-07 23:11:31

Peachy Fri 22-Jun-07 20:21:04

spunds good nixz, as longa s its not a forest hols site- they dont allow generators.

Nixz Sat 23-Jun-07 10:27:06

I think we will manage with what we have until we start planning longer breaks/holidays in the tent.
Then we will probably have to get something!
Thanks all for your ideas!
I think im going to start a top-tips camping thread!
I'm a novice and have appreciated this advice

FeelingOld Sat 23-Jun-07 12:53:50

We have one of those electric cool boxes which cost £30 from woolies (asda do similar one for £25) and the electric adapter cost £15 from yeomas. You can run them from cigarette lighter in the car or from you ehu with the adapter. They dont hold tons of stuff but milk, margarine, bacon, sausages, bag of salad etc so you dont have to shop everyday.

Nixz Tue 26-Jun-07 08:41:39

Feelingold - thanks!
You obviously dont keep them plugged into the cig lighter all the time, so what do you do when its not plugged in?
How long does it stay cold for without the lighter power?

FeelingOld Tue 26-Jun-07 12:11:46

We plug it into electric at home for 3-4 hours before we leave home, then plug it into cig lighter in the car on the way then plug it into ehu when we are camping.

Nixz Tue 26-Jun-07 15:29:20

whats ehu?

Nixz Tue 26-Jun-07 15:29:47

Oh electric hook up!
What if you dont have electricity?

FeelingOld Tue 26-Jun-07 17:38:03

No ehu!!! then I wouldn't go camping
You just have to make do with normal coolbox with ice packs and hope that the site you are going to has a freezer.

essbeehindyou Tue 26-Jun-07 17:41:28

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now