Camping in Germany

(7 Posts)
Inadither Tue 29-Nov-16 20:11:02

Hi all. Just wanted to sound out my ideas for camping next year. I have a fab but huge and heavy tent but can just about put it up on my own as it's an air tent and we have an electric pump. The children will be nearly 4 and nearly 6. Hubby is away with work for a week over summer hols so I thought I would take them camping as he hates it. I have a good friend who lives in southern Germany so was thinking of driving over packed to the gunnels with camping kit in my 7 year old estate which thus far is pretty reliable but can't afford to change until it dies, with the two kids. I've since learnt that another friend is also heading over so thinking maybe driving with them for moral support across France and spencding a few days mingling between them and my other mate. Am I completely bonkers, or would you do it? I've always been quite an adventurous traveller and the kids are pretty good in the car but even so, it will be two days there and two back so thinking of making a it a full 2.5 week holiday with DH flying out to meet us if he wants when he's finished work. I've done weekends away with the kids and used to camp as a family when I was little. So far mine have loved camping and the freedom it gives them. Or should I stay in the UK and do a tour of the relatives who live in nice but already visited parts of the UK? I imagine he may want to do this anyway with them (TBH not sure we'll still be together by the summer, hence me possibly being slightly selfish).

Blu Wed 30-Nov-16 13:35:02

So would this trip use up family holiday time and preclude other family holiday?

If you are up for it, I would go for it. The drive with overnight stops will be very tiring, and I wouldn't do any more set ups and strikes than absolutely necessary.

Are your kids good when you are doing those essential jobs, can they be trusted not to run off? Because you will be putting up and folding tent, cooking, washing up, having your own shower, making loo trips, all while in a position of sole supervision.

Just make sure you have international breakdown cover and full travel insurance etc, and go for it!

IF the driving and journey with the kids is onerous, you could arrange (if he is agreeable) for your DH to take the kids back on the plane after he comes out while you drive the stuff back. Or you all share the driving etc on the way home.

I think the solo journey with two young kids would be hard work - only you can know if you are up to it! But if you don't go, and you use that time trekking round relatives here I bet you will wish you were out on the open road with your tent in the back....

Inadither Thu 01-Dec-16 20:39:54

We would plan on another break at half term. It wouldn't be our only holiday but probably the only summer one.

Inadither Thu 01-Dec-16 20:40:51

Thanks for the tips! They're pretty well behaved so can more or less be relied upon.

namechangingagainagain Thu 01-Dec-16 20:43:42

We drove to Italy last summer via Germany. It was great fun.
We went overnight to hook of Holland then a night in Frankfurt then down to near neuschwanstein. It was good fun but weather in Bavaria was a bit rubbish.... He spent 4 night s before hopping over to the Alps to find sunshine.
Im biased as I love a road trip but it was great fun.

Poocatcherchampion Thu 01-Dec-16 20:47:14

Camping in Germany is great fun. I'd do it.

But remember that it would be a big job to put a big tent up and down so you don't want to do too many one nighters en route

Millimat Thu 01-Dec-16 21:11:27

I love Germany and we enjoyed camping there. Could you stay in B&B type places overnight as that would be easier?
Where in the UK are you starting from?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now