Campervan or caravan

(9 Posts)
hannahjj Sat 15-Oct-16 11:19:06

Hi!
We are looking buying one or t'other but don't know which one!
We are a family of four and would be using it for short breaks in the U.K. Throughout the year, was all set on a camper van and then someone said but once you are all set up on a campsite you have no transport then to go anywhere with a caravan you have your car and that completely changed my mind! I'm thinking caravan but husband still wants Camper van as easier to just go off in it etc etc
Just after people's opinions on which would be best suited to us!
Thank you! X

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 30-Oct-16 21:09:02

We have just bought a camper van. Heart over head!!! We plan to pitch a tent / drive away awning.

SummerSazz Sun 30-Oct-16 21:13:55

My recommendation would be to hire them both and then find out which suits you best. Personally I wouldn't want to tow a caravan.

We have a camper with a drive away awning which we sleep in. We are mulling over a motor home but I think I'll miss the drive away part. Also our van is small and nippy and I cant imagine lumbering along in a slow house on wheels.

We are hiring a motorhome for Easter next year to see how we feel.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Fri 04-Nov-16 23:06:54

We had a camper van, now buying a caravan. Loved the camper van but it got too small, too old, too expensive. I liked that we were stuck, we tended to go to campsites we could cycle from or near a beach etc. It slowed the holiday down and made it more relaxing. I found the drive away awning a pita.

Rumtopf Fri 04-Nov-16 23:14:14

We've got a motor home, a great old beast of a thing and it's wonderful. Kept fully stocked for most of the year so just have to put fridge stuff and toiletries in and away we go. We've got a huge awning that is a right pain in the bum to put up or down but is marvellous if we're going somewhere for a fortnight. Have bought an event shelter for shorter trips as its so quick. Major plus point is just the easiness of it. Negative point is having to take the bikes, or make sure there's a bus stop nearby or things within walking distance.
We're actually mulling over trading it in for a caravan, my car will tow something quite easily and then it's one less thing to tax, mot and insure etc.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Sat 05-Nov-16 07:05:29

We are hopefully getting our caravan on Friday, I could report back!

PotteringAlong Sat 05-Nov-16 07:13:17

I'd go for the third option of a tent!

PotteringAlong Sat 05-Nov-16 07:13:41

But yes, I agree with hiring both and making a decision then.

ringoffire Tue 15-Nov-16 11:29:24

I see on the camping forums a lot of people moving from motorhome to caravan - my neighbour has just done the same.

The biggest downside for him was that the motorhome was great in good weather as you would sit outside, but on a wet day it was very cramped with everyone crowded around one table. Most motorhomes have a raised bed at the back with a garage underneath - all of that space is unusable for day to day use.

I think motorhomes are great for couples, but caravans are better for families

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now