Family tents

(11 Posts)
KittyCatKittyCat Mon 29-Aug-16 20:01:42

Hello,
I need your best ideas for a great family tent. I had my eye on the Trigano Olympe trailer tent but we think we might get more for our moneys worth with a tent.
I need something I can stand up in, and have room for 3 sleeping areas (DD and DS separately), room to cook, and will be roomy enough all zipped up if the weather is foul and I have two toddlers to entertain!
This was the closest I got to liking, although I'm still not a fan: www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-kalahari-elite-8-family-tent-p286230
Open to the idea of bell tents or lotus bells, it would be our family camper (have a fine old festival tent) and would need to pack so much in it, possibly going all over the UK and nearby Europe.
Help!

BossWitch Mon 29-Aug-16 20:04:35

Vango nadina 600 is what we have, it does all that you've said but fair warning, it is HEAVY. Steel poles make for a solid tent but I can't lift the pole bag (separate from the rest of the tent and inner) on my own.

roseteapot101 Mon 29-Aug-16 20:28:16

what about this depends your budget really

www.outdooraction.co.uk/tents-tent-packages/outwell/outwell-drummond-7-tent-carpet-footprint-package-2016-pd-10083.php

KittyCatKittyCat Mon 29-Aug-16 20:39:35

Thank you, we were going to shell out for a trailer tent, so budget for a normal tent is quite big smile

PitchFork Mon 29-Aug-16 20:43:39

I am impressed with the decathlon tents.
we have an air beam one (impressivly quick to put up). and they come in the usual tent designs.

Ditsy79 Mon 29-Aug-16 20:53:17

We have this tent and the extension that goes with it - and love it! The main living area is huge, and there are 2 large bedroom areas at either end - they have optional dividers, so you can have up to 4 sleeping areas. The extension is brilliant for cooking and eating etc, and gives you a bit more room to spread out. The main tent is tall enough to stand up in and has large windows that make it feel light and airy in the daytime.

www.tentsandaccessories.co.uk/products/royal-brisbane-8-man-tent-package-deal

KittyCatKittyCat Mon 29-Aug-16 21:13:36

Those are all lovely thank you.
I'm really stuck between these types and canvas types now! The sensible me says get a decent family tent that's light to carry, but the canvas type ones are so pretty. Anyone with experience of canvas tents and families?

CoffeeMad18 Sat 03-Sep-16 18:26:11

What about vango Orava 600 xl ? Plenty of room for you all, it's poles on this one. They do an inflatable version the Tiaga 600 XL, the Aspire is lovely. The Edoras 600. I am waiting till the NEC show in Feb, I want to see them "in the flesh" so to speak. Drying it out and the weight has put me off canvas, although lots of people really love them.

CoffeeMad18 Sat 03-Sep-16 18:31:40

I meant to say I have a Vango Calisto 500 (2011) and we cannot all sleep in the main bedroom on our new camp beds as they don't fit sad so dh sleeps in the living area! We really need a bigger tent with more room for the dcs and the dogs.

Mumrahhhh Mon 05-Sep-16 07:12:34

I have the kalahari 10, it's great, very spacious and has 4 compartments plus a big middle area. We are only a family of 3 and we use the other bed space as a store room and a play room smile

hettie Mon 05-Sep-16 22:59:29

What about polycotton. You get a good compromise between full on cotton canvas (heavy, takes ages to dry) and nylon (hot, flappy). Obelink the Dutch website do some pyramid style shapes that I like more than the straight bell tent (which I would miss a vista/opening/ porch)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now