Do you have excess camping equipment?

(37 Posts)
skuwdlu Sun 28-Aug-16 20:58:21

That is probably worded like I am after it and I most certainly am not! We have enough stuff for us to go camping but we also have spare sims, spare sleeping bags and so on. A couple of small tents that are too small for us to use as a family and too big to use as a pup tent. These spares would only be used if other people came camping with us or if they borrowed them.

I am trying to declutter and I am wondering whether to keep any of this. I have limited space but I keep thinking if I didn't have it nobody would be able to come with us. It isn't the same friends all the time so it is no use passing it on to them.

Is it normal to hang onto stuff for these reasons? I am not posting this on housekeeping as they will doubtless say to get rid. We do not have any other holidays or weekends away other than camping. Our friends are similarly placed and would not really be able to afford their own stuff just to come with us occasionally.

PikachuSayBoo Sun 28-Aug-16 20:59:38

I have 7 tents and a caravan. Some of the tents I haven't used in 20 years but I hang onto them just incase!

SpaceKablooie Sun 28-Aug-16 21:02:45

Ooh, are tents like tattoos then grin? Once you get one, you get another, and another...

I'd love a tent. And all of the camping gibbons. I'm pretty sure that I'd turn a cheap getaway into a super-expensive one though.

Titsywoo Sun 28-Aug-16 21:03:05

Yes I have excess stuff that friends sometimes use. One friend in particular comes every year but lives in a flat and has little storage but I like to be able to lend her stuff. I have one of these at the side of my house to put all my camping gear. If your storage space is running low it's better to sell it and your friends can sort themselves!

SpaceKablooie Sun 28-Aug-16 21:03:17

*camping gubbins grin

GoldFishFingerz Sun 28-Aug-16 21:04:34

I would probably offer the tents/equipment to the friends in one email. State you are decluttering and will just keep your big tent and equipment needed for your family.

If your friends want to come camping and don't have everything, they can ask around. Or look on free cycle.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 28-Aug-16 21:07:31

We have a 2 man hike tent, a 3 man pop up tent, a 4man dome tent, two large frame tents (one broken) and a trailer tent. I want to get rid of the frame tents, but DH is adamant that they might come in useful one day hmm. I did throw away his childhood canvas 2 man tent that was both heavy and completely permeable to water. He is still grieving.

AnaG1ypta Mon 29-Aug-16 09:19:56

We have several tents. Not spares but for different types of camp. Although I have lent them out.

Same for other types of equip as we've graduated from non-EHU to EHU.

Cooker: tiny one burner units, suitcase stove, campingaz cooker with grill, halogen oven, campingaz party grill (sim to CADAC), BBQ, firepit.

Food storage: 3 way fridge, plug in portable cooler fridge & extreme coolbox

Sleeping: double campbeds, single campbeds, air beds, SIMS (& spares). Sleeping bags for warmer and colder weather.

I really need a hot day to get every single thing out and sort through what I want to keep.

ChicRock Mon 29-Aug-16 21:18:48

We just did a huge garage clear out yesterday and got rid of our biggest tent, some old sim's and a flimsy fold up kitchen stand. We gave it all away to a local youth group similar to scouts.

We still have 2 tents (one completely unused and still in original packaging) and a caravan 4 bbq's - from a tiny bucket bbq to a big portable gas one, various camping stoves, several sim's, a couple of fold up camping beds, inflatable beds, and I'm constantly hankering after some proper luxury beds, the type used when fishing, even though it's highly unlikely we'll ever use the tents again for more than 2 nights. I'd also love an icey-tek which is completely unnecessary but I'd love one nevertheless.

pictish Mon 29-Aug-16 21:27:30

Yes...we never get rid of serviceable camping gear.

pictish Mon 29-Aug-16 21:29:13

Oooh we have an Icey-Tek - it's rather good. We take it away for prolonged trips swapping the ice blocks out every other day, and it keeps everything cool throughout.

BaronessEllaSaturday Mon 29-Aug-16 21:36:42

Various tents from a 2 man backpacking tent to a trailer tent. Trailer tent has it's own kitchen unit then I have a large double burner and grill stove and about 5 different singe burners. Only have just enough sims as had a big clear out recently and a couple of spare sleeping bags.

The two smaller tents are coming back into their own now that it is often just me and the youngest going away camping.

SouthDownsSunshine Mon 29-Aug-16 21:44:23

We always think of camping as cheap, because each trip is. But in between we buy lots of kit. Oops!

We have spare sims that are old and rubbish, we should bin! I think we have our old tent still, should give that to charity ....

After camping this weekend we definitely 'need' better chairs, a portable bbq, better pans, a new double sim for dd (fed up with her coming into our bed). However, no point buying any of the above unless we also buy a new car to fit it in!

user7755 Mon 29-Aug-16 21:46:14

What about contacting a charity which provides emergency accommodation - refugee or disaster emergency charities. I wonder if they'd be interested?

pictish Mon 29-Aug-16 21:47:17

We 'need' better chairs too. Ours are ancient and giving out a bit.

Oakmaiden Mon 29-Aug-16 21:49:17

I'm not sure camping gibbons sound at all restful...

Mamagin Mon 29-Aug-16 21:51:46

What is a sim? (Feels gormless)

Oakmaiden Mon 29-Aug-16 21:53:21

Self Inflating Mattress

Mycatsabastard Mon 29-Aug-16 21:58:31

Got slightly sidetracked there. Had no idea what an icey tek was so googled.

Went to FAQ and came across this little beauty!

Q: I need to transport a deer, what box would you suggest?
A: The icey tek 160L long box in khaki is popular for that.

grin Frequently asked questions about transporting deer!!

Anyway, to the op. We have trailer absolutely rammed full of camping stuff. Two tents, an 8 man and a 4 man. We have numerous beds, sleeping mats and bedding. We have a fridge, mini fridge, numerous kitchen tables plus our new washing up station (which I am rather fond of).

We had a mini clear out a few weeks ago. We threw out the following:

one fish slice as the handle had broken.

That was it. Bit of a fail!

ChicRock Mon 29-Aug-16 22:00:35

<Adds icey-tek and fish slice to online shopping basket>

Mycatsabastard Mon 29-Aug-16 22:02:29

Chairs you say? New ones we have just bought!

one of these (for me)

www.kampa.co.uk/chairs/tub-blue

Dp has one of these

www.kampa.co.uk/chairs/eclipse

Mycatsabastard Mon 29-Aug-16 22:03:14

chic remember if you are transporting a deer you need the 160L long box in khaki.

ToxicLadybird Mon 29-Aug-16 22:05:56

We have eleventy million fold up chairs. God knows where they all come from. I think there might be some chair hanky panky going on in the basement and they'rw breeding like rabbits.

3 tents

twice my body weight in spare pegs

but can never find a bloody mallet. End up buying a new one every time we go.

HarrietSchulenberg Mon 29-Aug-16 22:15:06

I have enough tent space for 20 people. 1 huge 8 man sleeper, 2x2 man pop ups, 1x3 man pop up, 1x3 man pole tent and 1x2 man pole tent. Until last week I had another 2 man pole tent but I cannibalised it into a cover for the climbing frame.

There are 4 of us that camp and 2 of us are teenagers that now think camping sucks.

I am not getting rid of my collection.

Mamagin Mon 29-Aug-16 22:38:21

Thanks oakmaiden !
We have two lightweight tents, for backpacking, a kayham that allegedly sleeps 6, and even more allegedly self erects, a decathlon pop up that was brilliant until the unbreakable poles snapped, two small tents that I can't remember how big they are, and a tunnel tent that I kept meaning to throw away but has now been turned into an awning for our berlingo, which we can sleep in with the addition of a box thingy my husband made.
And breathe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now