Icey tek, getting warm after 25 hours!

(16 Posts)
storminabuttercup Sun 14-Aug-16 15:03:27

Bought one after the rave reviews on here. Filled it up on Friday with frozen bottles of water plus lots of cool packs, by lunch time yesterday everything had melted, by this morning my milk looked decidedly dodgy, the tent was super hot but surely I should be getting closer to my 5 days? Any tips?

helterskelter99 Sun 14-Aug-16 15:15:08

Did you pre chill it?

Where are you?

storminabuttercup Sun 14-Aug-16 15:21:05

I meant 24 hours 25 is a bit random.

Pre-chill? No. blush

In the uk!

helterskelter99 Sun 14-Aug-16 15:27:22

I got a bit obsessed with pre cooling
www.coolboxesuk.com/usage
www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=6&TopicID=299945

Blu Sun 14-Aug-16 17:05:08

I guard the lid like a Rottweiller and don't allow anyone except me to open it! Kids opening it, leaving the lid open for ages..... <<sucks air in through teeth>>

Blu Sun 14-Aug-16 17:06:55

Mine has never lasted the legendary 5 days - 4 days last time, in a heatwave, cold stuff was still v cold, but I did swap my small inferior not-Aussie-gel-pack freezer blocks a couple of times.

storminabuttercup Sun 14-Aug-16 17:19:11

Pre cooling is clearly where I've gone wrong! I also just use normal cool packs! We've only done 3 nights so not needed 5 days but I would have liked colder wine milk. Thanks for the advice!

Yellowiceytek Mon 15-Aug-16 22:31:50

Pre chilling is essential! I start chilling mine a good three days before using! The first lot of packs do melt, but by day three they stay frozen. Also everything that goes into the box must be cold, no room temperature tomatoes! As you will lose chill cooling them down.
I freeze half the milk I need to take too, by day three it's still frozen and needs leaving out and a good shake before hitting the cornflakes slushy style. grin
I don't have the proper ice pack, just supermarket ones.

storminabuttercup Tue 16-Aug-16 10:15:13

Thank you! Lesson learned!
Yellow you clearly like yours! Love the username

Pcat Tue 16-Aug-16 23:29:04

Are you using the fancy Aussie ice packs they sell? They are really expensive but really work. We are in s of France at the moment and it is 35 degrees. We have 3 of the Aussie packs and on rotation - so have 2 in the cool box and one freezing and rotate each morning. We started with a prechilled box and frozen food but we are keeping things cool in this heat and ply shopping for meat etc every 3 days. The only extra thing we have done is a sheet of that metallic bubble wrap radiator reflector stuff which we have sitting on top of the cool box to deflect a bit of the heat in the day.

The day before i use it i put frozen 5l bottles of water in it for 24 hours. Take those out when ready to pck it properly and put as much frozen stuff in it as possible(i.e I'll have one chilled milk for immediate use but also a frozen milk for 2 days time) . Stuff all the xracks8with newspaper. 48 hours later milk will still be frozen!!

Karachuckles Thu 15-Sep-16 13:58:14

Just got forwarded a code for 10% off an icey tek GIVEME10
I am going to treat us to a 40L purple - Xmas sorted yay !

Blu Sat 17-Sep-16 10:00:22

You can't just hide a code for Icey Tek in a thread!
How long does it last?

Karachuckles Sat 17-Sep-16 13:54:25

Let me see .... Oh to end of Sept

NettleTea Sat 17-Sep-16 14:21:27

we use them on our glamping site. We have the big ones which take 2 big gel packs on the bottom. We put new packs in on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and they seem to work fine through the whole season from April - October.

skuwdlu Sun 18-Sep-16 20:17:37

My Icey-Tek is a bit crap really (25l). I haven't found it any better than my old cool box. I'm changing the ice packs daily. All the pre-chilling is a massive faff and I have to freeze ice in somebody else's freezer as I only have a diddy one. I have experimented at home and I don't believe the pre-chilling makes much difference. I also only camp in the frozen north so it isn't the tropical temperatures which are affecting its performance.

It's a beautiful colour but I will be back to a normal cool box next year. Icey-tek takes up too much space in the car and doesn't earn its keep. Out of all my camping gear it is the one thing I really regret buying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now