dummies guide to electric hook up

(12 Posts)
shouldwestayorshouldwego Wed 13-Jul-16 23:33:38

We are going electric for the first time because we wanted a big enough pitch and have actually booked a few nights rather than chance our luck.

Having had to book we might as well use it! Is the electric cable the same across Europe and UK. All our appliances are uk so makes sense to get the cable here as long as will work there.

Obviously we will be able to charge phones etc. Am I being too decadent to bring slow cooker to pop something on in the morning to come back to later in the day? We could get small fridge, any other recommendations?

If we've paid 5€ extra per night for electric hook up (and slightly bigger pitch) does that include all the electricity or is that metered on top of the cost for pitch?

Berthatydfil Wed 13-Jul-16 23:46:44

You will probably need a continental adapter as the pitch socket will be the wrong fitting for a U.K. Hook up. As far as I'm aware these are standard in Europe (France and Spain at least )
I've never had to pay extra on top of the daily pitch fee.
With regard to your kit the power will be limited probably 6amp but check your site booking info so you won't be able to have items on that use more power than that or it will trip and will be s pain to reset it, usually things like heaters kettles etc draw a lot of power (you can special camping ones that have a lower demand) but I imagine that a slow cooker would be quite low and I assume the same for phone chargers not sure about a fridge though so if you have got that plugged in permanently you will have to factor that in when you start using other appliances.

JammieDodgem Wed 13-Jul-16 23:49:38

We are hook up virgins bit have booked a hook up pitch this summer! Exciting stuff!

shanghaismog Thu 14-Jul-16 08:01:12

Can anyone link to the type of adaptor needed for France please? We have the blue 3 pin hook up lead, is this ok?

LilCamper Thu 14-Jul-16 08:51:49

I have a slow cooker that goes with us. We use it to make cinnamon and raisin porridge over night.

Berthatydfil Thu 14-Jul-16 17:58:39

www.worldofcamping.co.uk/mains-continental-conversion-lead-641?gclid=CO-Jh7e2880CFbYW0wodjKUA3A#fo_c=273&fo_k=fd5bb78fe609f69917e3c81a431d244b&fo_s=gplauk

The campsite website should tell you what EHU connection is available. I have one of those adaptors (just in case) but have never needed it.

I run a table top fridge, big fan (cooling for the dog hmm) and lights on 6 amps, a slow cooker and a fridge should be fine.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Thu 14-Jul-16 21:34:36

The website says 10 amps so sounds as if it should be fine. We probably won't want chargers and slow cooker at the same time. Still not too sure which plug to get, will pop into a shop. Am near world of camping next week.

shanghaismog Fri 15-Jul-16 16:13:46

Thank you!

Milliways Fri 15-Jul-16 21:51:40

Our EHU cables (bought and used in UK) have worked on every site in France & Belgium we have been to over past 3 years. We have noticed that all the French campers were using an adaptor! We bought an adaptor but it was not needed - although I would still always take one.

Even on. 6amp hookup we had no problems running several things. Our kettle is low wattage- our microwave even worked (we have a campervan) and we always had phones and iPads charging. On a 10amp site you should be fine.

shanghaismog Sat 16-Jul-16 08:28:05

Is it totally not in the spirit of things to be contemplating whether our Nespresso machine would need too much power...?

travailtotravel Sat 16-Jul-16 08:32:23

We have a fridge toolbox that we plug in. Low amp, can also plug it into a cigarette lighter in a car. It's a little noisy so we turn it off at night. Other than that can!ping kettle rather than regular one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now