By back aches and it's only been one night!

(10 Posts)
2LittleMonkeysJumpingOnMyHead Sat 09-Jul-16 22:07:11

In about to go to sleep for the second night of the year's camping. My lower back is already achy and I'm missing my real bed. Which mattresses are best for this? We have a decent multi compartment air bed.

BluePitchFork Sat 09-Jul-16 22:09:05

air beds are horrible for my back.
we use yoga mats (more for insulation tbh) and 1inch sims on top.
and we take out pillows.

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Sat 09-Jul-16 22:21:05

I'm not an airbed fan either. A good sim is what you need. It's warmer too. They are bloody expensive though.

Last year I went camping while pregnant and a sim on top of two basic camping mats saved me from too much discomfort.

TeaPleaseLouise Sat 09-Jul-16 23:39:24

I love my thermarest sim, I'm not sure what one it was but it's a womens one which is supposed to have more padding at the hips or something. I slept on it for 3 weeks when we went on holiday when I was 6 months pregnant and it was so comfortable. Just don't get the NeoAir ones if you're considering a thermarest, they'll sound like you're sleeping in rolled up newspaper, so crinkly.

We got this for DS recently as it's half price m.cotswoldoutdoor.com/mountain-equipment-helium-3-8-sleeping-mat-d2322075?id_colour=98
I don't think it's as good as the thermarests, but he's lighter than us so he should be fine...

I'm a complete Princess and the Pea and I love my 10cm extra large SIM, DH and I have one each. It's expensive but worth the nights sleep

www.jrleisure.co.uk/vango-comfort-10-grande-self-inflating-mat/p2586?source=froogle&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=comparison_shopping_feeds&utm_nooverride=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw5Ie8BRCJ9fHlr_bH24cBEiQAkoDQcQ6aSL6OOoGRF6j0VL108y2FXtiMO2numtKe_0jPLp4aAgkn8P8HAQ

Bumpinthenight Sun 10-Jul-16 10:26:57

I agree with getting a sim. We have been through all sorts of airbed and the most comfy we have ever been is on our 10 cm sims (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005TSUFWQ/ref=twister_B00GTX5F9I).

My BIL has a bad back and he recently slept on one for two nights and said it was amazing!

Mum4Fergus Sun 10-Jul-16 11:51:06

We use mattress off sofa bed...hate air beds with a passion confused

2LittleMonkeysJumpingOnMyHead Sun 10-Jul-16 15:40:54

SIMs seem to be the thing to go for. What about camp beds, though? How do they compare?

Bumpinthenight Sun 10-Jul-16 16:09:09

I have never tried a camp bed, however they do look a bit narrow. You can try them out in Go Outdoors.

Just be careful that a camp bed isn't too long for you bedroom compartment otherwise your feet will stick out!!

2LittleMonkeysJumpingOnMyHead Sun 10-Jul-16 16:47:04

Thanks for that, very good point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now