Campfire cooking - egg in a paper bag

(16 Posts)
LifeIsGoodish Sun 12-Jun-16 20:44:00

Can this be done without bacon?

Blu Mon 13-Jun-16 19:24:18

Yes, I am sure it will end up charred in the embers having fallen through the bottom of the bag all the same grin

Has anyone actually DONE this? Do they have some sort of superior sort of paper bag in the U.S?

Getting grease on the bottom of the bag seems to be part of the technique.

Maybe buttered bread in the bottom of the bag instead of bacon would work?

Without bacon the cooking time should be a LOT less, which MIGHT reduce the chances of the whole lot ending up in the fire?

LifeIsGoodish Mon 13-Jun-16 22:20:15

Buttered bread is a good idea.

I know how to fold paper into a water-carrier, so I could try to make a 'cooking bag' out of a sheet of brown paper!

Blu Tue 14-Jun-16 06:57:33

Do report back, LifeIs!

(DS would have loved doing this in his scout / survival phase, but I would have a pan in reserve)

JamieFraserskneewarmer Tue 14-Jun-16 11:35:19

Have done the egg and bacon in a paper bag and it does work. We used standard brown paper bags that you get from the greengrocer. Not sure if egg alone would work since I think it is the fat from the bacon that stops the bag from catching fire as other posters have mentioned. Would be interesting to see if the buttered bread idea works and if egg cooks before bread catches fire!

Blu Tue 14-Jun-16 18:59:31

How does the fat stop the paper catching fire?

Blu Tue 14-Jun-16 19:03:43

And I'm definitely going to try it!

Though god knows why - I won't be tramping through the bush with no frying pan grin

LifeIsGoodish Tue 14-Jun-16 19:16:35

I seem to recall boiling water in a paper bag over a campfire a million years ago at a Guiding event. Water is a relatively good conductor of heat, so it draws the heat away from the paper and, as long as there is water in the bag, the paper ever gets hot enough to burn.

Does the bacon fat have the same effect, I wonder?

I suppose I could try poaching the eggs! But eggy bread in a paper bag sounds good.

I'm also going to try popcorn in a foil takeaway tub, orange cakes, and skewer sausage rolls.

What else could I try? We're going to have a campfire, skewers and a grille to lay over the fire.

YourPerception Tue 14-Jun-16 19:21:55

Can you please post pictures and instructions. grin

LifeIsGoodish Tue 14-Jun-16 19:52:28

And results grinor blush!

Oldieandgoldie Tue 14-Jun-16 19:56:30

A bit more expensive, but would those toasted sandwich bags work?

Blu Tue 14-Jun-16 20:12:49

I have done lots of things wrapped in a foil 'packet': roasted veg (onions and various Mediterranean style veg: not turnips / cabbage) butter, herbs, seasoning, wrapped into a fool parcel ) with room, not tight) and put on a grille, BBQ or embers. Same think with chunks of pineapple (no juice, pat dry if tinned) , butter, brown sugar.

Not as adventurous as your menu though. Have always wanted to try the cake in an orange.

OnyK Tue 14-Jun-16 21:52:28

Have you tried dampers?

LifeIsGoodish Tue 14-Jun-16 22:06:21

No, but I will!

With a bit of a twist: I've got a packet of Costco brownie mix... wink

JamieFraserskneewarmer Wed 15-Jun-16 12:51:25

We have done cake in an orange and it works well with shop bought chocolate sponge mix. Only problem is you need to do something with all the orange flesh otherwise it's a real waste. Didn't really fancy it as juice since it had been handling by numerous children!

Chocolate bananas always go down well - especially if you drizzle with rum for the grown-ups.

Forgot to say that for the bacon and eggs you have to keep the bag above the flames - otherwise it does catch fire very efficiently indeed smile

Maddaddam Thu 23-Jun-16 22:18:54

Bit late to the thread, but we have done the paper bag and egg cooking with halloumi and tomato for the veggies (bacon for the meat eaters). It worked OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now