Talk to me about bell tents

(8 Posts)
RhubarbCrumbled Mon 06-Jun-16 15:31:30

I need a tent I can put up on my own for me and 2 small (non helping) children. All the tents I have (yes, multiple) are too big for me on my own or too small for a proper holiday.

I've been tempted before but have been talked out of it. I like my canvas trailer tent and quite fancy cotton canvas again. I need something I can pitch myself without too much swearing, that we can be comfortable in for a couple of weeks and that doesn't cost the earth but will last. The other option is something like an Icarus.

So tell me all about bell tents, please! What should I look for, what should I beware, the good, the bad and the ugly.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Mon 06-Jun-16 17:50:37

I think they are great if you can cope without an inner tent. I can't, I need a space safe from insects to sleep.

Naoko Mon 06-Jun-16 17:54:37

I love my bell. One person who knows what they're doing can pitch it in about 10-15 minutes, cool in summer, warmish in winter, not sweaty. And I can stand up in it properly to get dressed. You can get compartments for it too, if you want something you can zip up against insects or just divide the space a bit for privacy or tidiness. Mine has a zipped in groundsheet which is brilliant, it's attached so no faffing to get it under in a way that doesn't leak, but detaches if I want to clean it.

Thebookswereherfriends Mon 06-Jun-16 17:55:38

We bought a 5m one last year. It is very easy to put up, weight wise I couldn't manage to lift it in and out of the car or get it up by myself, but my partner can. If you look into a 3 or 4m one I imagine they are a fair bit lighter and you would be fine.

SalomeD Mon 06-Jun-16 20:45:46

Alternatively - split the tent into more than one bag, if you have the poles separate to the canvas and groundsheet it is much easier to lug around

PopGoesTheWeaz Mon 06-Jun-16 22:53:42

I'm fairly strong and I find out 5 meter really difficult to lift and maneuver even when we keep the poles separately. 4 meter would be totally fine though.

I absolutely love my bell tent though.

TheGoodEnoughWife Mon 06-Jun-16 23:00:39

Love mine, got it for that very reason that I can put it up on my own in 15-20mins.
Quite heavy (5m) but doable - especially as you can normally manoeuvre your car to dump it where you need it!

I have the inner tent too. Nice and cosy :-)

FrozenAteMyDaughter Wed 08-Jun-16 15:59:34

I agree with all the above and would probably choose a 4m over a 5m if I was going to be putting it up on my own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now