I need Eurocamp recommendations and advice please!

(13 Posts)
KatieKateKat Thu 02-Jun-16 08:35:02

Looking at going to a Eurocamp site, in one of the lodge type accommodations not actual tent-camping. Probably may half term but maybe summer, not decided yet. (This is for 2017 btw!)

We have four children Aged 10, 9, 7 & 4 at the time of travel. Group of six including myself and DH.

Are there any recommendations from you lovely lot on which is a good first site to pick? Any to definitely avoid?
My kids aren't too difficult to entertain. If there is a pool - Great! Would love other options though, maybe some water sports, playgrounds or perhaps a nearby beach
My kids aren't really hikers but could be cajoled into a nice walk. A town nearby is always a plus!
Anything further than northern France would definitely mean we would fly so nearby airports would be a factor.

I'm completely naive on what this type of holiday entails. We aren't particularly outdoorsy campers! I'm not too fussed on having to buy or hire a bit of equipment here and there but please factor in that there are six of us and I'd like to keep spending money around a £1000 for a week. Are the activities stated on the website expensive?
And if we fly baggage also will be a thing to consider!

reallyneedmoresleep Thu 02-Jun-16 09:18:30

Really depends on how far you want to travel. Berny Rivière or Domaine des Ormes are fabulous sites but both in northern France so the weather may be more iffy. La Garangoire in the Vendee is wonderful as is La Palombiere in the Dordogne, but much longer journeys.
You might also want to consider Canvas Holidays or booking direct with Les Castels. Much cheaper!

KatieKateKat Thu 02-Jun-16 12:25:08

Thanks! I will look up those suggestions!

TheCatWhat Thu 09-Jun-16 12:54:49

I think they are ideal family holidays and I am sure your kids would love it. It is hugely difficult finding a site though as there is so much choice. And then you have to choose which operator to go with!

I would start by deciding whether you want to fly or not. If you can find some cheap flights somewhere then you can try to find a site nearby. We've been to the coast near Venice for example which was perfect. We stayed in a mobile home and just needed to take normal holiday stuff. And hired bedding.

mouldycheesefan Thu 09-Jun-16 12:58:43

Consider weather, we did Eurocamp Brittany in June and it was wet and chilly.
Check pools are open and heated in May, some places don't have the water slides on till June.
Been looking at this myself but want one by a beach with a Eurocamp kids club.
Get the biggest accommodatin you can, with decking.

notagiraffe Thu 09-Jun-16 13:01:46

Agree with reallyneed that des Ormes is good. Gorgeous lodges in the grounds. Big choice of indoor and outdoor pools. Loads of on site activities - pony rides and treks or proper riding lessons (lovely teachers when we were there) great zip wore, archery, climbing wall etc for the older ones. Lovely restaurants, good supermarkets and traditional market in the town as well as nearby beaches, Mont St Michel etc to visit.

Pootles2010 Thu 09-Jun-16 13:14:03

Yes consider transport first - are you on a tight budget? In which case ferry/drive is great, thats what we did.

If you call them up, they can sometimes do you a deal on transport - we got ferry for £50! And we took a lot of food with us - spag bol (frozen!) for first night, bags of rice, pasta, cooking oil, s&p, etc etc with us. Obviously you can't do that with flying!

But then as said above, the weather can be very ropey - no worse than UK, just a bit of a lottery. Depends whats important to you.

We stayed at Berny Riviere, was great! We stayed in safari tents by the beach thingie - which is really nice by the way, your 4 year old will enjoy paddling in it! One word of warning - that pool is cold! So nice on a hot day, not great for a cold/rainy day. The spray park thing is good though! Oh & its quite close to Disney, although we didn't go that time.

SymbollocksInteractionism Thu 09-Jun-16 13:24:16

Have a look at Duinrell in Holland. We have been there twice and going again this year, it's brilliant for the kids and there's loads to do. It's a lovely site with a huge pool with flumes etc and also has a theme park that you can use at any time. Beach a couple of miles along the road and the nearest town a stones throw away (with an Aldi for food and booze!)
About 40 mins away from Amsterdam, good public transport and cycle paths everywhere. The ferry goes into either Amsterdam or rotterdam, both about 40mins away from the campsite or you can fly into Amsterdam and hire a car.
It's a brilliant holiday and I'd definitely recommend it!

samlovesdilys Thu 09-Jun-16 18:25:27

Try pin parasol in vendee, we were driving and easily done, v straight forward. Dordogne is further (8 hrs) all in one or stop 1/2 way (tours??) recommend les Paradis or the big site by Les bugues...forgot name. All three have pools, first and last have slides. All have canoeing close by...enjoy!!

No1HolidayPlanner Sat 11-Jun-16 14:55:29

Duinrell in Holland is fab.. Indoor water park and theme park onsite.. A lovely town a few minutes walk.. Cycle to beach.. It's so lovely.. We are returning this yearsmile

KatieKateKat Sat 11-Jun-16 15:19:01

Thanks so much everyone! am looking up Duinrell and berny riviere right now!

SoddingPufflers Sat 11-Jun-16 20:21:11

Lac du Chalain in the Jura is pretty awesome if the weather is nice. My dc's favourites have been La Carabasse with Siblu, and Parc Albatross in Italy. And St Avit Loisirs in the Dordogne.

Shopper99 Fri 17-Jun-16 19:48:57

Playa Montroig about an hour south of Barcelona is lovely...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now