Camping with children - Lake District or Scottish boarders. Best site?

(18 Posts)
PotteringAlong Sun 01-May-16 20:08:28

Title says it all! Looking to book first week of the school holidays. 2 DC, 4 and 1. Where are the hidden gem campsite recommendations that you love?

Loutwotwo Sun 01-May-16 23:57:21

We love the quiet site. The kids love the soft play and we love the bar!

PotteringAlong Mon 02-May-16 07:22:07

Thank you! I'll google!

BellsaRinging Mon 02-May-16 07:28:22

Depends what you want, but we went to Fisherground in the Lake District. Really lovely-little pond with tyres for kids to play on, can make own campfires and there is a little train station there with a request stop (don't know what they are called, but a mini-train rather than a full size one iykwim). Good pub just down the road, too.

gingerdad Mon 02-May-16 07:29:04

My favourite is Woodclose on the edge of the lakes /dales at Kirkby Lonsdale.

PotteringAlong Mon 02-May-16 16:55:16

Fisherground in Eskdale? We went there last summer and loved it!

wonkylampshade Mon 02-May-16 17:00:12

In the Borders, there's a great place called Ruberslaw near Denholm. Further up in East Lothian there's another great place at Blinkbonny Wood.

FrameyMcFrame Sun 08-May-16 22:15:54

Fisherground is excellent, and very beautiful scenery.
We're going to the old post office campsite in eskdale at half term, has a little beach on to a river...
Buttermere campsite is lovely.

reallyneedmoresleep Mon 16-May-16 12:14:24

Bay stone Bank Farm in the Lake District. Basic but cheap and clean and sooo beautiful! There is a little stream that flows through the middle of the camp ground and my kids spent hours paddling and building dams. Happy days!

Abzs Thu 26-May-16 12:42:11

Over the border, Marthrown of Mabie. It's a small site set in the forest right by the mountain biking trails and a farm park. There's bunkhouses, a yurt and thatched round houses too.

MegBusset Fri 27-May-16 08:19:20

Fisherground is brilliant but you can't book and we've seen people get turned away in the holidays. You may wish to plan to arrive as early as possible (can't remember what time you can pitch up from) to bag a space.

Buttercupsandaisies Fri 27-May-16 18:02:39

You can defo book Fisherground as I spoke to them yesterday and they were happy to take my booking there and then?!

We actually chose elsewhere in the end as the reviews are mixed with loads of people saying they're very much all about rules - plenty of reviews said they dictate exactly where you put tent, where kids can play, how much noise etc. I agree the facilities look brilliant for the kids but like some of the reviewers, I felt like the whole point of camping is to let the kids run free- not trying to keep them quiet or off certain patches of grass etc!

FrameyMcFrame Sun 29-May-16 09:53:25

Fisherground... lovely. The ice cream van comes round at dusk. Love the adventure play and lake with tyre boats

The Old Post office Campsite, also brilliant. Lovely river with beach for swimming. Great pub on the doorstep that does take out ales!!!

BikeMum8 Sat 04-Jun-16 22:59:55

If you haven't booked anywhere, look at Loch Ken in Scotland, really friendly spacious site.

KenDodddied Fri 10-Jun-16 21:55:12

Can second Ruberslaw, really nice site in the Borders. We stayed in the walled garden, allows camp fires.

Can also recommend site in Buttermere, small by a stream, lots of sheep. That's all there is though. Oh and you park otherwise of stream.

Am off to look up Fisherground after all the positive reviews above

attheendoftheday Sun 19-Jun-16 10:42:44

I came to say Ruberslaw too. I prefer the pitches away from the walled garden so you can be entirely alone with the wildlife.

ChicRock Mon 27-Jun-16 20:03:32

The toilets and showers at Fisherground are absolutely horrible.

The Old Post Office is much much nicer. It's one of our favourite sites.

FaFoutis Mon 27-Jun-16 20:06:16

I second the Quiet Site, for the lovely bar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now