When can we go camping - will May be too cold?

(23 Posts)
trilbydoll Tue 19-Apr-16 21:44:39

We bought a tent last year and went camping the first weekend in Sept. I have never been so cold in my life, even when we went to Cumbria in January!

Admittedly a big part of the problem was inadequate bedding. But when does it stay above 10 degrees at night? If we went away for DDs birthday mid May would we be okay?

YabuDabbaDoo Tue 19-Apr-16 21:46:15

I think that should be okay. If you are lucky it could be fantastic!

My top keep-warm camping tip is foil sheets underneath your air bed/camping mat

shouldwestayorshouldwego Tue 19-Apr-16 21:48:05

You need warm sleeping bags. We were cozy in our 400gsm bags when -1 in Cairngorms last year. Freezing when we got out of them!!

chocdonutyy Tue 19-Apr-16 22:01:09

I only went once in may, it was freezing! I remember going to the loo and repeatedly hitting the hand dryer to warm up before going back to the tent!
However we got sunburnt in the day confused
There are things you can do though, good sleeping bags, even a duvet on top is a big help, hot water bottles, good pj's and a woolly hat, also if you have electric, an electric heater is lovely :D
Never ever bring the gas cooker or barbecue into the tent to keep warm though, aside from burning the tent down, carbon monoxide poisoning is a real danger too.

trilbydoll Tue 19-Apr-16 23:35:56

Thanks all. We definitely need to go shopping, we've only got one sleeping bag and DH nearly got hypothermia last time grin

We haven't ventured into cooking yet, I'm too scared of burning down the tent!

shouldwestayorshouldwego Wed 20-Apr-16 06:25:51

Ds has ((http://www.sportsdirect.com/gelert-hibernate-400-s-bag-781066?colcode=78106618 this)) one which is v warm and cheap. You also need to make sure you have a mat with a layer of air between you and the ground. We use the aldi/lidl ones which are on sale just before May half term.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Wed 20-Apr-16 06:26:49

This one!

rememberingalittle Wed 20-Apr-16 22:02:36

It's already plenty warm enough to camp. You need to go shopping smile Think of all these weekends between now and September you could be enjoying. Good bedding is the key, Lidl camping stuff is excellent value.

WhoKnowsWhereHerMajestyGoes Wed 20-Apr-16 22:06:15

As a gardener I never trust there to be completely frost-free weather till the end of May. So yes, it can be cold. Also at the start of May especially, it gets dark fairly early which isn't much fun in the evenings unless you've got a campfire or a pub. But if you wrap up well, have a fire etc it can be fine.

usual Wed 20-Apr-16 22:09:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Callmecordelia Thu 21-Apr-16 06:30:58

We went camping in May a few years ago. It almost put us off for life. So cold, and the rain was dire.

Last year I went camping in May with the tail end of a chest infection. Triggered an asthma type response and my lips went blue. My Mum called an ambulance.

Just be careful. Stay warm......!

rememberingalittle Thu 21-Apr-16 07:05:16

We've already camped. I promise it is warm enough. We had our Sims and 2 sleeping bags each and were very toasty. The key is having the right kit. Stay warm in the evening and don't go to bed cold. It is really hard to warm up while you are lying still. Better to be warm going to bed and stay warm. Evenings are longer but good to have time to talk by the fire.

BiddyPop Thu 21-Apr-16 14:55:25

We are taking the Cub scouts camping the first weekend in May (unusual to be early but the whole troupe is going - 2 Scout and 2 Cub groups - and needed space available for that).

We've warned parents to make sure it's a decent layer under sleeping bag, thermals under PJs (preferably 3 layers) and a hat, and even to use jumpers if needed for sleeping.

I'm sure we'll be fine! (I intend doing my usual - thermals, pjs, sleeping bag, SIM, picnic rug (foil backed) under me and very thick extra blanket over me, hat, thick socks, and hot water bottle - I don't let Cubs see inside my tent for a reason!).

trilbydoll Thu 21-Apr-16 22:25:21

Frost? Frost? Okay then no. Our tent is massive and we can only dry it out by pitching it in my parents garden. Which is pretty much the last thing we want to do on our way home.

Maybe we go shopping and next year, when we're more experienced and know we've got warm enough gear, we'll go in May grin

hillbilly Thu 21-Apr-16 22:32:43

We usually do first camp in Easter holidays and so long as you're prepared it's fine. Thermals, pjs, socks, hat, sleeping bag, blanket, hot water bottle. Always have a roaring fire all evening and then light it again first thing in the morning. Lovely!

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 21-Apr-16 22:34:22

I've been in May half term before and overnight it was 1degrees.

Wolfiefan Thu 21-Apr-16 22:36:08

Another trick is to get changed into PJs early and put layers on top.
Take blankets. Under and over sleeping bags.
If you have inflating mats put a layer under.
Layers. Thermals or base layer then pjs. Hats and multiple sock layers.
Never use crap thin sleeping bags. 2-3 season minimum.

profpoopsnagle Thu 21-Apr-16 22:48:10

May is not too cold if you are prepared - we tend to start off at Easter. Crunching across the frost on the way for a morning wee is one of my favourite things. grin

The things is, if you have good weather during the day, there's usually less cloud which means it can get quite cold at night, even in summer. So adequate bedding and preparation is a must. Whereas a rainy day, which is not so great when camping can be noticeably warmer. I'd rather cold and dry as a camper, because there's always hot water bottles and gin.

trilbydoll Fri 22-Apr-16 11:01:19

One of the reasons I was so damn cold is that dd2 was only about 4m and I was bf her all night. She's still feeding at night so if there's a chance of it being 1 degree I think maybe we'll wait until next year!

BiddyPop Fri 22-Apr-16 12:39:57

(No alcohol allowed on Cub Scout events - sobs)

Although we could sink a ship with the amount of tea just 4 leaders drink!!

Oh - that is another tip I picked up last year - take a flask of hot tea to bed with you, for use during the night if you wake up cold, or still reasonably hot first thing before facing (the feral Cubs in my case (who think anything after 5am is breakfast time!) the darling DCs ready for another day of fun and excitement all day long!! It could be coffee, but I do want some sleep and I can get the kettle going fast once I leave the tent.

Pengweng Fri 22-Apr-16 16:09:26

God i hope so as we are going next weekend. Hoping I'll be ok with my new 3 season sleeping bag and my wool quilt my nana made me for taking to Uni (it weighs a ton but is soo warm). Also will be sleeping in with one of the DTs (DH in with the other) so I think i will pick the sweaty warm one and do some snuggling. Planning on bringing hot water bottles and I will use the tip for flask in bed! Only going for 2 days but it is a trial run for this year before we go for a week June half term hols.

Naoko Mon 25-Apr-16 10:53:31

I was in a field at Easter in late March and although I was miserable and turned around after one night, I wasn't cold. Just build a nest out of sleeping bags and blankets, remember to insulate under you as well as above you, and SIMs are much warmer than airbeds. What did for me at Easter was storm Katie, not the temperature.

AnnPerkins Mon 25-Apr-16 13:23:45

We've been the last two May Days with several other families. The first year it was freezing at night. We wore hats and scarves to bed. But both years the days were dry, sunny and warm enough to sit around chatting. We had a fire, which was essential. I wouldn't go anywhere this early if I couldn't have one.

We have booked for next weekend but, having seen the Countryfile weather forecast, I'm starting to have second thoughts. I don't mind cold evenings and nights but if it's cold and wet during the day we won't be able to do much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now