Midges in Scotland in August

(14 Posts)
Toomanywheeliebinsagain Mon 04-Apr-16 13:17:45

Anyone got any experience of this ?
We were thinking of doing a camper in Scotland in August and have been hearing utter horror stories and wondered if people have any experience?

HannahSm Mon 04-Apr-16 22:39:16

They can be annoying, but there are tips you can follow to camp in places less likely to be affected (particularly the East coast) - or at least to stop them becoming unbearable (pitch in the open, away from water, and facing into the breeze so that any midges congregrate behind the tent rather than in front of it).

These links have more advice:

www.caravanclub.co.uk/community/discussions/sites-touring/uk-sites-touring/Best-time-to-tour-Scotland-to-avoid-the-MIDGES/rt/492199/

www.campsites.co.uk/guides/camping-for-beginners/how-to-avoid-insects-while-camping

Plenty of people go there and survive smile

Toomanywheeliebinsagain Tue 05-Apr-16 08:12:03

Thanks- we were planning Loch Lomond which I hear is bad

OnlyHereForTheCamping Thu 07-Apr-16 19:48:34

Loch Lomond is horrific for midges. Go coastal and pray for a wind

WhoKnowsWhereTheT1meGoes Thu 07-Apr-16 19:51:57

We stay at Loch Lomond (not camping) in the second half of August, stay about 200m from the water's edge and never had any problems with them at all. Been going for 15 years or so.

Toomanywheeliebinsagain Thu 07-Apr-16 22:11:45

Thanks who knows. The advice is so conflicting!

Toomanywheeliebinsagain Thu 07-Apr-16 22:14:24

I guess worse comes to comes to worse we can drive somewhere else

museumum Thu 07-Apr-16 22:17:17

You can't know for sure. They are tiny do can't cope with wind. They come out at dusk near water and or trees so camp in the open in a breeze.
If you're in a camper though you can retreat inside or go to the pub. I really wouldn't let them stop you going.

MaureenMLove Thu 07-Apr-16 22:23:58

It depends on what the weather has been like. If it's damp and warm, there'll be plenty on Loch Lomond!

You need Avon 'So Soft' products. I assume they still do it? I haven't looked at an Avon catalogue for years! For some reason, the wee beasties really don't like it! Citronella candles is also a must.

MaureenMLove Thu 07-Apr-16 22:25:40

Oh and agree, don't let them stop you. If you haven't been to the West coast before, you don't know what you're missing. It is the most stunning scenery in the country - imho!

Ameliablue Thu 07-Apr-16 22:31:37

I'm Scottish so used to them and don't find them that much of a bother unless I'm cycling or doing the grass. Then I use insect repellant wipes. If sitting out I would have a citronella candle or similar.

Ameliablue Thu 07-Apr-16 22:33:07

Oh and I love Loch Lomond so think it is worth any annoyance midges would cause.

georgedawes Thu 07-Apr-16 22:35:47

How close to the Loch? If it's next to it you'll be eaten alive! We got married next to the Loch but had to keep the marquee completely zipped because of the evil bastards. They do like me a lot though.

Tanfastic Thu 07-Apr-16 22:37:21

We stayed near Loch Lomond a couple of years ago in August. Can't say we noticed midges but the wasps ....angry. You couldn't sit outside anywhere and eat or drink. It was awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now