Early April - too cold to camp?

(12 Posts)
Allyoucaneat Mon 28-Mar-16 14:31:16

We're novice campers. We don't have any fancy gear, just a basic tent (sleeps 6, bedroom each side, small area in the middle, can't stand upright), sleeping bags, aldi sims, cheapo b&m table & chairs.

We've been given tickets to an event about 90mins away and thought it would be nice to combine it with a night away, finances mean it would have to be camping. Will it be far too cold and miserable in April on the Scottish East coast?

Just typing this I'm swaying between it being a blissful spring weekend and a total nightmare! I haven't even asked DH what he thinks yet....

MagentaSpunkTrumpet Tue 29-Mar-16 07:43:47

My personal opinion (and I'm also a scout leader and we are not known for staying indoors if the weather is a little inclement) is that it's fine if you,
A) have decent kit so you're warm at night
B) have reasonable weather in the day time, or a plan to get you off site and indoors

Otherwise you could well be cold at night and remain cold all day. It's a sure fire way to put you off camping for life wink

Blu Wed 30-Mar-16 23:05:50

I agree with Magenta.
I would do it but I am
A) well 'ard, and don't understand the masses of bedding and layers of nightclothes people talk of for midsummer camping
B) only go to sites which allow campfires and so sit outside in the evening keeping warm and damp-free round a fire

In addition to the cold The ground will probably be wet and muddy. In a low tent you will spend a lot of time kneeling and getting mud and dew inside your tent.

If you have somewhere warm to spend the evening and eat in a pub or something and can slip straight into good quality 3 or 4 season sleeping bags, with a fleece blanket or two each, you should be fine. Having somewhere to go for breakfast would also help.

If it is a nightmare, tell yourselves it really isn't like that in summer!

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 30-Mar-16 23:11:34

TBF it is really like that on the Scottish East Coast in summer. DS camped out last month, but he's a scout and therefore well 'ard. Even he was freezing though.

I think it's doable if you can get warm in the afternoon. And I'd invest in some proper thermal nightwear - thin layers you can dress on top of in the morning. (DS came home with his jammies on - 'I wasn't getting my bum out in that cold mum')

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 30-Mar-16 23:11:55

You will freeze your tits off. There's going to be a ground frost tonight and that's a possibility for weeks yet. So u less you have quality -10 rated sleeping bags I would say no. Saying that ive been cold in a -10 rated bag in August so I do feel the cold.

I was caravanning last week and we had a power cut which knocked my central heating off. I could tell within ten minutes it had gone off and was freezing for a few hours until it came back on.

almostthirty Wed 30-Mar-16 23:14:43

I hope not we're off next week! First time camping in a tent for years ! We are going to the south east though so hopefully slightly warmer that Scotland!

Spangletangle Sat 02-Apr-16 21:17:57

We're going tomorrow on the East coast of Scotland. Madness? Ill let you know.

WhoKnowsWhereTheT1meGoes Sat 02-Apr-16 21:23:06

You can deal with the cold, but it gets dark very early and if you can't have a camp fire or spend the evening in a pub that can make for a long and boring evening.

hillbilly Sun 03-Apr-16 21:47:00

I'm in agreement with Blu. Also pretty hardy and only go where campfires are allowed so never really get cold in the evening. Off tomorrow to Sussex in fact. Good luck in Scotland!

Moving15 Sun 03-Apr-16 22:06:21

I am a seasoned camper and would think twice about Scotland camping in April. Good luck. Take lots of thick socks because it's going to be coooold.

Adarajames Mon 04-Apr-16 01:01:47

I've been known to stay my camping season in February; I'm not well ard, an disabled and broke, but do have good camping hears from my richer days so can ensure I stay warm at night; campfires a real bonus. Oh and dogs to keep me warm if it gets really cold! If you can ensure you'll be warm at night then go for it, but tons of bedding / blankets / all sleeping in tighter if you've not got decent all season sleeping bags; plus lots underneath you too or you'll really feel the cold up from beneath you

Allyoucaneat Tue 05-Apr-16 16:07:00

Thanks all. We're not going, a combination of finances and the fact we're still taking hot water bottles to bed in our central heated house!

A campfire wouldn't be an option for us, with an accident prone 18month old I'm just not prepared to risk it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now